He's In Love Steph, Look At Him

jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: If we could switch them though, I would switch ours so you don't have to deal with it

Maybe he wasn't as much of a jerk as I thought he was. But then I remembered the incident and I snapped the fuck out of it.
Ping!, my phone flashed.
I checked the lock screen to see a text from my mother:

Mom: Beef stew is done and dad is home pumpkin

I sighed and stood up from my desk, heading downstairs for dinner. Moving into the dinning room, I sat down at our table.
I looked at my father who greeted me with a smile. He flashed me his white teeth and scratched at the stubble of his days old cut beard. His cheeks were a warm rosy color which matched his light red hair. He had brown eyes and was extremely tall compared to my mom, but then again, everyone was. The woman's only five foot.
I didn't get any of my dads looks, I mean clearly. I'm full black and he's white. We still meet up with the man, Louis, who helped with the artificial insemination though. Technically, he's my father but no one in the family felt that way, including Louis. Our family wasn't the ones that use the term in reference to someone based on blood. Instead, we picked who we felt was our family to us.
"What're you thinking about champ?" My dad signed to me once I was looking at him.
"We should have Louis over sometime this week," I sign back. "Or maybe we could go for lunch on the weekend," I say, sliding my right hand vertically across my left and drop it down at the end of my fingertips.
"That's a great idea!" My mom smiles at me. "We've been meaning to. It's just that things have been a little busy with the big move." I watch as her smile falls to a sad frown and my dad reaches over to hold her hand.
"It's okay, Steph. It's only been a month since we've seen him," He says to my mom but doesn't sign since he's holding her hand.
Dad's like that sometimes. He doesn't sign in moments like these, not because he forgets or doesn't care to, he just knows I can still make out what they're saying. It's an unsaid trust between us and I like it. He's the only one that does it to me and for once I kind of feel normal.
Don't get me wrong, I still don't mind being deaf, just there's times when taking a break from talking feels nice.
"You talk to Louis nearly every day, Mom." I laugh.
She waves me off with a smile and we all start taking shares of the beef stew, pouring ladles into our white glass bowls. I grab for the salad bowl, ready to fill my plate with the green leaves and croutons. But then my phone vibrates, stopping me. I retreat my arm back and pull out my phone from my jeans.
My parents are pretty mellow like that. They're probably more relaxed than they should be, especially with having a teenager but we're all close so it's not like we didn't talk. Basically, I got to do whatever I wanted as long as I felt that I could tell them. And if I didn't feel that way, then they wouldn't push. Unless what I was hiding was something they thought could endanger me. But really, they're just cool with anything.

jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: Have you ate?
xanhangiff@gmail.com: Am right now. You?
jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: Not yet. Waiting for the pizza to arrive
jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: Hey maybe I could get your number. Emails suck

I set my phone down on the table, face up so my alerts flash wouldn't disturb the dinner.
I looked over at my parents who just grinned at me.
"Is it a boy?" My dad grinned.
Yeah my parents know I'm gay. I mean, you bring home a boyfriend two years ago and it's pretty well said you're not straight. Of course Chase and I broke up, but we're still friends and hang out every now and again when we can.
"Dad," I groan with my hand to my forehead.
"Hey," He stuck his hands up in surrender. "I'm just asking if you already got your eyes on someone here. It'd be good, moves are tough and you need as many friends as you can get." He smiled at me as he finished signing.
I look over at my mom who was watching me as she served herself some salad.
"Is he cute?" She wiggled her eyebrows at me and signed before blowing on her stew.

jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: It's cool if you don't want to. No worries.
xanhangiff@gmail.com: Sure
jasonwh1t3@gmail.com: cool. 535-8792

I saved his number into my contacts and clicked off my phone, staring up at my parents who both just looked amused.
"He's in love Steph, look at him." My dad teased and wrapped his arms around his body. "In loooooooove."
"He's glowing!" She feigned surprise.
"You guys are so weird," I laughed and filled my plate with salad.
At least my family was supportive. I was thankful for that, knowing how some families aren't. God only knows how bad things would be if they weren't.