Chapter One ▫ Brother & Best Friend.

Brittany's POV

I feel it man tonight's the night.

My brother Mike and I grew up down South in Louisiana. We are closer than close.

Inseparable.

Mike was adopted by our parents when he was three and we've been best friends ever since.

Back in middle school I came out to him as gay and I was terrified. Even though my family is laid back and accepting coming out can make you forget who's riding for you. When I told Mike he laughed and said he knew and that he loved me no matter what.

Best friends and siblings always.

When Mike and I got to high school we got really into dancing. All throughout our childhood we danced but didn't get serious until we both entered our Freshman year of high school.

By our Junior year we had made a name for ourselves and we started dancing at this club called the IVY. The IVY is an 18+ club but Mike and I had connects and we used them until we both turned 18. Dancing at the IVY is intense. The hype crowds. The challenging dancers. The hot girls. It's a lot to handle at once but the winnings are dope.

Mike and I stay dressed in the finest clothes because when we dance we take home at least two grand every win. Mom doesn't always like that we spend our free time at the IVY but she knows that we wanna help her out since our dad bailed when Mike and I turned thirteen.

Tonight there's this three round countdown going on at the IVY. The three round countdown is when three teams dance to a song of their choice. Then the crowd decides which two teams go on to battle each other. The last team standing wins.

Mike and I got a group of kids from our school together and made our own little crew back in tenth grade. We call ourselves the LA Ridaz. Our group consists of our friends Tatum, Jacob, Zen, Myself and Mike.

Tonight we made it to the final round and we are hype.

Especially me.

Brittany:Okay guys this is it. We made it to the final round and we bet it all. We got this.

Mike:Brittany we should've took what we had and left. These guys are crazy and-

Brittany:(Cuts off Mike)Bro don't quit on me now. Come on with our moves put together we're unstoppable.

Zen:(Looks at Brittany)Maybe Mike's right Britt. It's not too late to get our money and go back to the crib.

Brittany:Not you too please. Zen we never back down. Come on let's show them how we do.

Tatum:B's right we can't punk out. They're crazy but we're fucking insane.

We all laugh.

Mike:(Smiles)What you think Jacob?

We all look at Jacob.

Jacob:Let's go get this moneyyy.

We all laugh hard and make our way to the dance floor.

----

I would be lying if I said battling our opponents was easy. The other team was talented as hell and had great stamina. We struggled a little bit because we were really trying to win.

We are all sweating and have stripped down to tank tops when the ref comes out.

"AFTER WITNESSING THAT TALENTED SHIT ON THE FLOOR IT IS UP TO YALL TO CHOOSE WHO TAKES HOME THE FIVE GRAND HERE IN MY HAND."

Brittany:(Nervous).

Zen:(Huddles up with everyone)We got this yall.

"MAKE SOME NOISE FOR DAMNATION!"

WOOO! WOOO!

The crowd goes insane and for a second I don't think they can get any louder.

"OKAY OKAY. NOW MAKE SOME NOISE FOR THE LA RIDAZ"

WOOO! WOOWOO! WOOO!

We all scream and jump up and down. We hug and push each other then they send me to collect the money. The minute I touch it I feel so successful.

I walk back over to my friends and we make our way out of the club and towards me and Mike's house.

Brittany:I told you! I fucking told you we would win this and yall wanted to give up!

Mike:(Laughs and grabs the back of Brittany's neck)We get it you're a genius.

Everyone laughs.

We keep walking and laughing but stop when the team we beat steps out in front of us.

They look pissed.

Brittany:(Stops walking)Yo what's up?

"I want my money."

Zen:Man get the fuck outta here we beat yall fair and square. Get over it.

"Shut up bitch."

Tatum:Yo watch your fucking mouth.

Jacob:Right man. Chill out.

Zen:It's cool let him talk. He ain't nothing but a pussy anyway.

The minute Zen calls him a pussy the guy jumps on her and she falls back causing my friends and I to react. The other guys respond the same way we do and a full on brawl breaks out. We're all cussing and swinging. There's bloody knuckles and bruised faces all over.

In between hits I see Mike fighting the guy who caused all of this. I hear a loud groan and see Jacob getting his ass whooped. Mike sees it too. Mike elbows his guy in his nose causing him to stumble hard and grip his face.

Everything next happens in slow motion.

Mike runs to help Jacob meanwhile the guy he was fighting pulls out a gun and while holding his nose shoots at Mike.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

I hear the shots and when I look at Mike he's on the dirt facedown with three bullet holes in his back.

He's not moving.

The shooter gathers his crew and they all run after realizing what just happened. I rush over to Mike and I flip him over and cradle his upper body in my lap. There's blood coming from his mouth and his eyes are closed.

I scream for help and see Zen calling someone while Tatum is trying to calm me down. I look around screaming and crying and realize that Jacob is gone.

He ran.

Mike got shot for trying to save his punk ass and he ran.

I continue to wail and cry while rocking Mike back and forth like it'll bring him back.

Brittany:(Sobs)Mike stop fucking playing around man it's not funny anymore.

He just lays there.

Lifeless.

Breathless.

Gone.

My brother and best friend.