Chapter Sixteen ▫ Choices.

Brittany's POV

One week until the competition.

All the fraternities and sororities on campus have been working their asses off.

The Alpha Omegas and I are so hype about our routines. Everyone likes what I've done and taught them. We are pretty confident in ourselves.

I glance at the clock and see that there's twenty minutes of class left. After this last class there's gonna be a party at our frat house which is gonna be a great break.

The classroom door opens and the professor stops speaking. The guy that walked in hands the professor a note and then leaves. The professor looks around and we make eye contact.

"Brittany Pierce you're wanted in the dean's office."

Everyone looks at me as I slowly stand and grab my things.

As I make my way to the dean's Office I'm a little nervous.

Why does the dean want me?

Which dean am I seeing?

What did I do?

I enter the dean's office and go to the front desk.

Brittany:Hey um I'm here to see the dean.

The receptionist looks up at me then at her computer.

"Do you have an appointment?"

Brittany:Uh no I was just told to come here.

"Do you know which dean you're here to see?"

Brittany:(Shakes her head)No.

"Can I get a name please?"

Brittany:Brittany Pierce.

"Oh Mr.Lopez is the one. He's expecting you."

Santana's dad?

"Head down the hall to room three and knock before entering."

Brittany:Alright thanks.

I follow her directions and before I know it I'm knocking on the door labeled 'Michael S. Lopez'. A loud voice tells me to come in. I step inside and I come face to face with my girlfriend's dad for the first time.

Michael:(Looks at Brittany)Sit.

Brittany:(Walks over and sits at Michael's desk).

Michael:(Sits down and opens a folder)Brittany S. Pierce correct?

Brittany:Yes Sir.

Michael:I'm sure you know who I am seeing as you're involved with my daughter.

Brittany:(Nods)Yeah.

Michael:(Closes the folder)Let me ask you this Ms. Pierce. What are your intentions with my daughter?

Brittany:My intentions?

Michael:Yes.

Brittany:Well I hope that I can make her happy for as long as she'll have me in her life.

Michael:What about the future how do you plan on supporting her?

My brain stops.

I have never thought that far ahead. I have only thought about now.

How will I support Santana if we're together after leaving college?

I can always work for my uncle full time to take care of both of us. He does it. Or I can look for work as a dance instructor for younger kids. That is my goal at the end of the day.

Brittany:Well at the moment I'm making money working for my uncle and after graduating I hope to find a job working with children on dancing.

Michael:Right your uncle. The groundskeeper.

The way he says it makes me cringe. He sounds disgusted or unsatisfied.

Michael:Ms. Pierce my daughter is a very educated young lady.

Brittany:I'm well aware Mr. Lopez.

Michael:Then I'm sure you know she has a bright future ahead of her and being involved with some thug from the streets is only gonna slow her down.

Brittany:A thug? Sir-

Michael:Listen and listen good Ms. Pierce. You're gonna leave my daughter alone or I will have you on the next bus back to where you came from. I will not have her make the same mistake your aunt made.

Brittany:(Slowly stands and puts her hands on Michael's desk)With all due respect Sir what Santana and I have is none of your business. So do what you have to do. (Turns to walk away).

Michael:Mike C. Pierce.

Brittany:(Stops).

I know where this conversation is going. No one knows about what happened to Mike except for Zen, Tatum and Santana. I kept the situation under wraps because this school is strict on felonies.

When Mike was killed I was charged with aggravated assault. The fight put all of our lives in danger and resulted in the death of my brother. The police decided on their own that the fight was gang related. When I tried to explain they just shut me down. Due to the fact that we lived in a crummy neighborhood they didn't care much about the situation. It was just a regular day for them. Zen and Tatum weren't charged because I didn't mention them to the police. I didn't see the point. It wouldn't change the fact that Mike had just been killed.

Hearing my brothers name from the Dean of the school I lied to scares the crap out of me.

I stay facing the door completely frozen.

Michael:(Grabs his folder and pulls out papers)It says here that you were involved in the death of your brother and you were charged with aggravated assault.

Brittany:(Quiet).

Michael:That's odd because there's no mention of that on the information and background papers you filled out.

I stay silent.

Michael:(Closes the folder and tosses it on his desk)Once again you can either leave my daughter alone or pack your things it's your choice.

I can't leave Santana it will break me. Santana's one of the best things that's ever happened to me and leaving her is something I could never do.

Being here at Atlanta University has been quite the experience. I met new people and got back into dancing while expanding my knowledge and working on me. I don't wanna leave either but what choice do I have.

One has to go.