Chapter 15

Calum and Luke were ahead of me and Ashton, chatting away about whatever the hell they were talking about. They were too busy in their conversation to notice that I was literally shaking every time thunder roared through the skies.

It didn't go by unnoticed by Ashton, however. He had an arm wrapped around me as we all headed for the restaurant that was literally next to the beach. It wasn't fancy or anything, but it looked decent.

The four of us were lead to a table with a seat by the window so we could see the beach, at Calum's constant request. By the time we were all seated Calum immediately turned his attention to the mollusc shell. He was already attached to it, naming it Frederick and that it is his Frederick.

Ashton was seated beside me, repeatedly asking if I was okay or not. It was a bit annoying, but I know he's looking out for me. What are best friends for if they don't do that?

Luke's been awfully quiet since we got here. He hasn't spoken a single word at all, not even saying anything to Calum. Even if he did try to talk to Calum he'd probably just tell him to go away so he could go back to cooing to a fucking seashell.

It's a seashell. Seriously, Calum? And it's honestly not that amazing as the one that I'm clutching in my hand.

From under the table I glanced at it, taking in its design. I caressed the shell, feeling the surface and the bumps from underneath my fingertips.

I don't know why Luke didn't give this one to Calum. It was a lot more beautiful than the one in Calum's hands, and it would make Calum a hundred times happier than he is now.

I didn't know where to set the seashell, and I didn't exactly want anyone else to see it, so I kept it in my hand.

"What's that?" I heard Ashton ask me. So much for not wanting anyone to see it. Oh well. At least it's not Calum. He'd probably want it, but I have no intention on giving it to him.

Because I found it when I was with Luke.

I showed him the seashell and his eyes widened. "Wow, that's pretty. Where'd you find it?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, somewhere along the beach. It was when I was with Luke."

"So... are you going to give it to Calum?"

"I don't plan on doing that."

"Why not?"

"Because I like this seashell." That's true, but only partially. It's more like a piece of memory of the small time Luke and I were alone. Aside from when he told me to go away and when he called me a freak, that was probably the only time that I actually enjoyed being with him.

Of course, I'd never tell anyone that. Not even to Luke.

My thumb brushed over the side of the seashell, following the lines of its spiral. I've honestly never seen a shell like this, and I'm glad that I get to keep it and that Luke didn't give it to Calum. Even though I wasn't planning on looking for a shell in the first place, this one is special.

I'm not going to obsess over it like Calum who's talking to the shell as if it was a baby, but I will treasure it.

My mind was so focused on the shell that I didn't even look at the menu to see what I wanted to eat. The waiter who was going to serve us was staring at me as he held a pen in one hand and a notepad in the other.

I was about to frantically skim through the menu before Luke spoke up and said, "He'll get whatever I'm getting." The waiter nodded, scribbled down the order, and walked off.

"What d-did you order?" I asked, but it was quiet. Luke still heard me, however.

"Chicken alfredo," he answered. "I'm sure you'll like it." He sent a wink my way and I flushed, hiding my face. How is he causing this effect on me?