02 | His Chase

Mabel's other phase of life is far as dramatic as it shouldn't be.

Her Dad, John Rivera is a simple kind of man, having a pretty decent reasonable hours job. When he is at home, he spends several hours in front of his laptop typing down something but still gets berated by Mabel's mom, Marina Rivera, she used to have a job in past but currently, she is just another unique housewife. (She left her job after Mabel was born. Though she helps John a lot.

Mabel is a single child but a below-average-mental -age guy who lives under the same roof as her. Ryan Rivera, her dear same-age cousin.

She clearly remembers those middle school summer vacations when she used to go to Florida to her Uncle Fred's and Aunt Lucia's house. For Mabel 'Family Reunion' was never beautiful.

Although She loved Florida, the beaches, the sunsets, the weather, the food BUT not her two stupid cousins, Ryan and Felix made that place hell for her. They were the devilish pranksters; they always tested their brand-new cruel experiments on Mabel. They took care of her so well and made sure that they never let Mabel return to California, to her home without a broken hand or a broken leg.

Felix is two years older than Mabel and he probably didn't torture her that bad but her dear same-age cousin Ryan used to transform her summer days into misery and she was now scared to take another step into Florida for future vacations. The word "Florida!" haunted her and gave those all high volts chills throughout her body. Their cruel laughs became her nightmare.

But since the time changed, Mabel stopped going to Florida, and finally, She started having fun with her few Californian friends (who is probably only Zoe) and started living alive until one day Ryan, himself stepped into her house during the summer break after her junior year ended.

He has returned in her life once again but this time Mabel was shrewd of his doubled cruel deeds as he is now a lot grown up. His brawny body, structured jawline, those same hazel eyes look now deadliest. He has those same shiny blonde hair but now they are quite lengthy because whenever she catches a glimpse of him, his half of the forehead is covered under his messy hair.

The day Ryan arrived was the day when her heart forgot to beat normally and her reflexes turned very active. The atmosphere of the living room where her family was talking about him being transferred was the death zone. She gulped watching her cousin as she stepped into that dead zone. As soon his eyes caught Mabel's presence, he stood in front of her and Mabel swore to god, his height has climbed feet over her.

"Hey! Kin!" His voice sounded different from the last time. This time it was a lot manly and cracked then he enclosed his tiny cousin into a bone-crushing hug which left her choking. Her body already started dis-functioning. He added slowly, "We going to rock high school together!" And he tousled her.

Ryan's mom Lucia smiled at Mabel who got to know that Ryan was going to spend the last high school year with her, in California. Lucia and Fred are entrepreneurs and they hardly have time to spend with their families. Felix has already moved to college so how could they have left their small son alone (Even they know he is a disaster himself) and the decision was made. No more objection.

Lately, Ryan cunningly captured Mabel's bedroom which was heavily decorated by her. Ryan said that he liked the view from her bedroom window. Marina said to him that her daughter won't have any issue if he takes Mabel's room. She didn't even ask Mabel once nor did she budge about it but deep inside her mind, Mabel killed her cousin more than ten times. She's good at it.

As soon as Ryan's parents left for Florida, he came into his natural habitat, he tried to push Mabel from the stairs. Well... Mabel was walking downstairs and as she came across the fifth step, he came running towards her from the upstairs and just yelled in her ears and due to a sudden invasion, she lost her balance and her butt received ever painful massage, He made those all five stairs, a ride to hell. Still, She decided to be strong, She picked her bag, her guitar and left to stay in the room which was at the corner of the hallway and opposite her previous bedroom but it was going to become her all happy place.