08 | His Chase

"What condition...?" She asks, innocently gliding the nervousness down her throat.

Skyler smiles offering, "Can we go for a drive?"

She laughs, "You said to me before that I was going to decide, where we'll go. What was that for?"

"So, we are going on a drive, right?" He crushes his can and keeps down near his feet, She watches carefully his procedure, gulping the last sip of her juice. "Right?" Enchantingly, his glistening eyes fill the bizarre.

"Yea... I mean we have already skipped school and we aren't even much concern about our studies so why not..." She says slowly, he takes her empty juice can from her hand and keeps it down near his feet where she can see another kind of trash, "Your car is gross!"

"Thanks," He nods, "So here's my condition..."

"You just--" She almost jumps listening to it.

"You aren't supposed to use your phone till the drive ends..." Victorious smile approaches, he leaves no other option for her, "Charge it but don't use it!"

"Hand me the cable just... I agree with your lame condition... And," She glares at him, "it depends, how you treat me! If you did some shit then I would definitely dial 9-1-1!!"

He chuckles, "9-1-1 is the only number you remember, don't you?"

She ignores his remark and examines her deeply ruined, stained top. The car smoothly moves over the road crossing the woods.

"Do you have water?" Her question doesn't leave any expression over his face except a smile.

"No..."

"Alright..." It was strange for Mabel, hearing her own voice, She never really talked to him this politely since they entered the car.

"Do you want me to stop somewhere--"

She cut off his sentence, "I just wanted to clean this stain before it gets permanently stained!" She flashes him her top.

He studies the stain, "It will come out easily don't worry!"

She nods before getting drowned in her seat, watching outside the window. Fresh green leaves swaying with the wind looks so beautiful and when there are so many of them then she could resist saying it looks like heaven.

Little away from their crowded life, they keep stretching ahead of the woods till she sees a slight glimpse of wide-open blue sky. No matter how bad her life is clustered down here, she always has these empty skies to fill her thoughts. She tilts her head and sees him driving carefully with ease.

She closes her eyes for few seconds then his voice, softly says, "Hey... Don't sleep... You are going to miss all the fun!"

She slowly murmurs, feeling the calmness in my nerves. The wind is so peaceful, "I will take a short nap."

His voice doesn't chime back and she sinks into her dreamy sleep forgetting about the time for a little while. The soft melody plays in the back of her head. She couldn't recognize it.

***

She gets up through her comfort sleep and notices the environment. She was still in the passenger seat but she didn't find Skyler. It is getting dark outside. She doesn't know what exactly the time is. The car is no longer moving and steadily standing somewhere between the woods. She looks outside the window, panicking a little.

"Skyler!?" She calls for him, after stepping out.

No response.

She stands beside the car for at least a minute, glancing far as she could but there's no sign of him. All of the sudden, she hears crunching sounds of leaves from behind the car.