24 | His Chase

"Hey, is everything alright?" Mabel rests her hand on his back. He pressed his forehead to her shoulder. His hands slowly guided their way to her back, pulling her closer, now she could even feel his warm breath on her neck.

Neither he uttered a word nor he moved. He seems not ready to let her go. This time she was worried, he's hurt. A minute ago, he was threatening her albeit now he's clinging on her.

Softly, she puts a gut to ask, "What she did to you, Skyler?"

"I hate myself for missing her." An anxious response, but the way they were embraced into each other's warmth, felt much easier to understand him as she could feel his soft rhythmic heartbeats against her.

She senses someone walks past by the door and if any teacher finds them, she can't assure they will spare them so easily. Mabel pulls Skyler along by her side and makes him sit under one of the lab tables. It was late after school ended and no one would even come to the lab anyways.

"Skyler... She's going to marry someone else in a coming week, isn't she?" Mabel rests her hand over his shoulder, turning to his side.

"That's the whole point Mabs, she is marrying someone else but she still wants to be in touch with me. I don't understand what does that even mean. She keeps saying, she's still confused," Rather than witnessing any misty or stressed eyes of his, Mabel saw rage crossing over his features.

That woman is really horrible.

He quietly shoves out his handphone and passes it to Mabel. It displayed chats of him with his ex, Kristina.

kris: kyle let's meet okay

He still has her contact number saved as 'Kris'. Why do I feel like a sudden allergic reaction to this?

kris: how long are you gonna ignore me?

kris: we can make things better again

Mabel averts her gaze at Skyler who was now lost staring at the floor. She can't even assume what thoughts were running up in his mind.

Is he still in love with her? Is he thinking of getting back to her?

He sighs softly, "Is it possible for someone to be this oblivious that she can't even decide before her wedding whom she loves?"

His eyes met Mabel's, hoping for an answer. She hardly understands any relationships stuff, if it is brought out of a novel to reality, they aren't scripted in words but tangled in emotions. She can't even think of losing him again to that woman.

Without giving any other thought, she pushed further and asked him, "Do you mind if I ask what was the reason for your breakup?"

"We never broke up, Mabel." His words made her heart enthrall.

"What?"

He continued, "More precisely if I say, she never wanted to give a proper label to our relationship," His expression drew seriousness to his words, "And one day she just told me she is getting engaged." He leaves a soft chuckle, "And after doing all this to me, she says she's 'confused', We stopped getting in touch since I left her neighborhood,"

"She didn't even care when I begged her like a fool to not leave me or when I said to her how much I loved her," His eyes were now visibly stressed, "I can't anymore bear the hopeless promises of her."

Before her touch reaches his fragile heart again, I should never let that happen and I shouldn't let him leave me again.

"Mabel, I don't like this feeling." He sighs, "I'm desperate to forget her but it seems impossible. I even tried dating other girls but it only made me realize how well I'm used to her imperfection."