58 | THE STORYLINE OF A LIFETIME

NAYARA SAT QUIETLY on the chair inside Star Labs, working to locate Sharon Carter. She had noticed how Barry was in the verge of extreme stress. She knew him too well. She also knew that that Barry had more on his mind than just Sharon escaping, but no matter what she said, Barry will not tell her what worried him. The reason being was that he did not wanted her to worry about it. He believed she had enough with both Peter and Sharon coming to their world. 

The brunette looked tiredly at the computer, not realizing the person standing right behind her. "Nayara." Peter said from behind her, making her jump. "Are you okay?" Peter asked her, taking a seat next to her. He had noticed the girl had been very distant since he arrived.

Nayara nodded at him. "Yeah." She quietly said.

"Well, the swollen eyes don't tell me that." Peter joked. "You cried? Is everything alright? I mean if you are worried about Sharon, you don't have to be. I will protect you, I promise." Peter said, leaning closer to her. He put a strand of her hair behind her hear. Nayara avoided the question. She in fact had been crying after the nightmare she had seen. "You can talk to me." Peter told her.

Nayara looked at the computers and not at Peter. Nayara closed her eyes briefly, as her thought of Peter's future. The kiss had woken her up, and made her remember that MJ was the one who he got to marry and not her back in the comics. MJ was the woman of his dreams, after Gwen died. Nayara believed that by being with him she will be stealing his happiness away from him. So, she had come up with an idea to let him go – she believed it could work – to let him had a chance to find his happy ending with MJ. The idea she had told herself; to let Peter go so that he could fulfill his density. She had read in the comics about the woman who had taken his heart, who he will marry and have a happy life with: MJ.

She was foolish – or so she thought – in entering his life. She did not regret her time with him at all, but the thought of leaving him so that he could have the life he was supposed to was taking a toll on her.

Nayara opened her eyes once more, looking at Peter. Peter's hide held so much love and happiness, something that Nayara saw. She thought about asking him about MJ, but Nayara was not going to bluntly asked him if he had kissed another girl so she decided to do another tactic.

"Umm, what has happened since I left?" Nayara asked him.

"Steve and Tony fought." Peter told her. Nayara nodded at him. She knew that. "They weren't the only ones. Everyone picked a side, against or for the Superhero Registration Act. Tony agreed and Steve opposed. People did not know why he opposed but I knew why. He didn't have to admit it." Peter said to her. Nayara looked at him, wanting him to expand on that point. Peter deep down knew why Steve opposed, he knew about Nayara's gift just like Steve. He had seen how the mutants were treated, and how this could open more doors in ways they would be mistreated. "The Superhero Registration Act said that everyone who wore a mask or had powers had to be listed in a special list held by the government. No more secret identities, no more secret powers." Peter explained to her.

Nayara nodded at it. She knew about that too. "And you went for it?" Nayara asked him, knowing which side he had originally picked in the comics.

"Against it." Peter answered it. Nayara turned to look at him with a confused look. That was not the answer that she was expecting it. From what she had read Peter picked Tony's side and then switched to Steve's. "Even though I knew the positives of it, I also knew the problems it could bring." Peter added.

"So, you were on Steve's side?" Nayara asked him.

Peter looked at her brown eyes. "Yeah. Did you expect me to be on the opposite?" Peter asked her. Nayara shrugged at him, not answering. Peter pulled a chair closer to her. "You did, didn't you?" Peter asked her.