[1] scare them away

[ the original character will remain to stay as Darcy until further notice, if you would like one of your own feel free to message and let me know, this scene is set the start of season one, Darcy and Tommy are friends from business ]

DARCY'S POV

THE nights are what I fear, the nights where everything is quiet and all i can hear is the ticking of the clock and the incessant moving of the sheets as I toss and turn; what I fear most is sleep, and it is seen on my face every time I walk into work at the betting shop, comments are made like,
"Fucking 'ell Darce, who's the lucky fella keeping you up all night?"
As to be expected, they're made from Arthur.

All I want to do is bloody scream and tell them "it's the voices of those I couldn't save." But I couldn't bring myself to do it. They suffered enough from the war without my sob story, I'd only become the weight of pity to them.

A knock sounded through my room, breaking the voices and silence away with it, making me thankful for whoever is on the other side of it.

"Darcy, it's Tommy, open up love" he spoke even though calmly, his voice still booming through the old oak doors, making the silence less welcome with his authority.

I stood, dragon my weary feet towards him, as I opened the door with a cream, the smallest of smiles making its way to my exhausted face.

"Yes Mr Shelby?" The words sarcastically fell from my mouth, as a hand came up to rub my eyes, as if it'll smear the bags away from it, the skin being pulled from left to right, and as my hand falls and I face forward, I see his eyes trained on mine, as if waiting for confirmation for what he was thinking.

"You look like shit, what's going on?" His monotonous words filled the room twice over, I could merely shake my head with a small smirk.
"Always a charmer Shelby, always a charmer" my smile growing ever so slightly, but his face stayed stone cold, becoming bored with my playful nature, with a huff of a sigh, I finally concede.

"Haven't been sleeping good lately, it's still all fresh" the emotion in my voice getting the better of me.
"Come with me" he spoke as he turned away, as I watch his back slowly become smaller as he moved further, confused, I follow. With Tommy Shelby around, I'm used to being confused.

As I caught up to him, we stood outside his room; "you're gonna stay here tonight, gonna see if I can help the bags on your face finally fucking shrink" the words fell with a joking nature and pity, the last word causes my skin to become hot with discomfort.

As we got into bed, he put an arm under my head, situating with the newfound heated body next to him, as opposed to the pipe who became his new best friend.
As the night drew on, my eyes shut themselves; the moment I'd been dreading, sleep.

All I can hear is banging and screaming; the shouts of men in pain, the screams of nurses becoming helpless with what little they could do to resolve the heartache. I could see nothing but flashing bright lights every so often, followed by the loudest crash of them all;
The bombs were being dropped.

"Help me! Please it hurts it hurts so much!" I could hear a young boy scream, couldn't be much older than 17, followed by the wail of men surrounding him, the pictures came across my eyes unwelcomed, the pictures showing the destruction. All of a sudden, I saw the face that followed the voice, the young boy who cried for mercy.

He had Finn's face; his pure face being tainted with pain,
"Darcy, why are you not helping me?! I'm fucking dying! I'm fucking dying because of you!"

And with that, I awoke with force, a force of nature that made my muscles seize up and my breathing just stop, and tear, oh the tears, they don't stop for hours. Heaved breaths did nothing to sooth my racing heart, which was all I could hear above the whispering voices;

"Darce, you're fine it's over" I could hear a whisper through the thumps of my heart in my ears, my closed eyes refusing to open, failing me as I failed them,

"Darcy, snap out of it you're okay, we're in Birmingham, it's not the war anymore, we're safe" the voice becoming more prominent now, letting me recognise it's Tommy, Tommy Shelby who is helping me with my demons from the war.

"They're always here!" Whisper-shouting to the void of nothingness, hoping the pitiful words could reach him.
"Darcy, I'm gonna put my hand on your face okay? Don't be scared it's just me" I could almost hear the furrowing of his eyebrows through the statement. The callous hand found my cheek, softly stroking it; his thumb etching circles on my cheek to calm me.

"I just can't do it anymore" I sobbed through breaths, becoming tired with the guilt I had to feel.
"You've never been a fucking quitter, out of character to start now eh?" The voice gradually becoming softer, only just to be heard over the heaves coming from my lips.

After a gruelling 15 minutes, everything calmed. The only reminder was my pounding heart; I slowly opened my eyes to see Tommy, his eyes weighed down with fatigue, but a smile made its way to his face, looking as if it'd waited years for this moment.

"The war fucked us all, you saved so many, don't be guilty for those who knew God had other plans for them" he whispered into the air, still stroking my cheek for the comfort it gave.

"Thank you, thank you Tommy" I could only muster a hoarse reply,

"No one deserves to be alone, Darcy, least of all you."

SOOOOOOO!
[ First imagine is up and running, I'll probably edit these at a later date as well to improve them, vote and comment if you liked it, comment anything you would like to see, I'm all ears ]