Adjusting

Louis' POV

I feel like crying when I go to the lab in the morning. It's been three days since Harry left, and he's hardly spoken to me since.

He responded to my texts and let me know he had landed in Spain okay, but didn't give me much information other than that. He says he doesn't have functioning WiFi yet and that he's on a rigorous orientation schedule at the moment.

I'm sure that's true, but I also know that Harry is avoiding me.

"I have to go. Gotta go eat dinner sorry," he said the last time I got a hold of him.

My stomach knitted and I felt my eyes get wet. No I love you, no emojis. Sure, those things seem silly and trivial and I'll be the first to admit that they are.

But Harry's extreme change in communication just proves to me how badly I fucked up. How nothing is the same anymore - nothing ever will be the same.

I've been showering him with love and affection since he left, hoping maybe I could make up for what I did. It truly was the biggest mistake of my life - I can't even imagine what life would be like without my baby.

But I let my selfishness get in the way. I fucked up. And I don't know if I'll forgive myself.

"Hey Li," I say later that day as I arrive home for dinner. "Can we talk?"

Liam is in his room, working on some kind of lab report and chugging coffee. Based on the concentrated expression on his face, he really doesn't seem in the mood to converse with me. But I'm desperate and I can't wait anymore.

"Yeah, can I just finish this?" Liam says without looking up.

"How Long will it take?" I ask quietly.

Liam looks up, connecting eyes with me. "A while. You look like you need to talk now though? Let's go then, yeah?"

My heart starts racing as I realize how nice Liam is being to me. He was never really a great roommate - always sloppy and tricking me into cooking for him. Things only got worse once he got a girlfriend and stopped giving me rides to the grocery store. But he had a good heart, and he did care about me as a friend, at least somewhat - even though I wasn't always his biggest priority.

"So what's up?" Liam asks, taking a seat on the couch. I sit down next to him, folding my hands in my lap.

"So I tried to dump Harry this weekend. The night before he left for Spain. I got so freaked out— and, it was the biggest mistake I ever made," I admit. Tears start to form but I blink them back. I'm tired of crying. I've cried too much already.

"What do you mean you tried to? It didn't work?" Liam asked. His eyebrows knitted together and he frowned.

"I told him I wanted to end it, all the cliche things... like it's not you it's me. Said it was over," I explain, gulping. "But couldn't follow through. We both cried, and he called his friend. I tried to call you - but it was like 2am."

"Oh, yeah, sorry mate. I was out cold," Liam replies.

"No worries," I say, biting my lip. "Anyways. Harry was having a fit, he was sobbing everywhere and wouldn't let me touch him. But whatever his friend said to him - well it changed things. He came back to my room all calm. And he just lay down next to me and held me."

"Wow..." Liam says, blinking. "That's intense. What happened?"

"We woke up, and I told him I was sorry and didn't mean it. I wanted to stay with him, while he was in Spain. He said okay. Hugged me. But he wouldn't look at me the same. He wouldn't talk to me the same... it was like I broke him, Li. I broke harry...."