|Prologue|

Egypt was a great and powerful nation, proud, conquering and the new living God, known as Pharaoh had allowed the land to prosper and the Gods seemed appeased. But with every great nation for as much of it as the sun touched, an equal part was wrapped in shadows. History tried to erase the things that happened. The grand statues of pure gold, the three great pyramids, the grand palaces and burial chambers. Often the people around were satisfied to revel in how wonderful their nation was built yet somehow were blind to the blood the slaves spilt creating such works.

"Sekhmet, welcome back" a man with three of his natural teeth to his name leered as she took the key to her room for the night.

The long black cloak covered most of her but when she was in the room she slid it off to reveal a much less modest outfit, Egyptian cloth clung and left little to the imagination. Silver decorated her arms, wrists, ankles and neck the cheaper metal showcasing her place in society. Her makeup, the rouge applied carefully to make her as appealing to her customers had become an art she had all but perfected. In the golden world outside her window the sun was dropping and the last sparkles faded. She had no ill will towards those outside, to the Pharaoh sitting on his golden throne after all she didn't know any of them. People had to prosper and an equal amount had to suffer. This was her place in the world, her atonement for going against the words of those who raised her.

Prostitution. Sex for money. This act was not frowned upon, in holy temples and high ranking areas, concubines were revered, sacred, respected even. This run down building, in the heart of the criminal back bone of the city was not a holy temple, she was not respected and she was not revered.  Customers didn't take no, didn't have boundaries bruises on her neck, stomach... They proved that but this was the life she chose. It all blurred and she justified and normalised the trauma by telling herself this was just what she had to do to survive. 

The door opened, her first client was here. She smiled elegantly and turned not that she needed to do much to impress but the act helped the game. They say sex brought you closer to the gods, the scripture taught it, at this rate she would rise to the name she was gifted, Sekhmet, goddess of war, protector of the Pharaoh and his armies. A fighter with unparalleled strength to never surrender, she laughed to herself at the thought of ever being so important.

The name was not her own, a cover for her work but she'd grown to like it, to take strength from it. The man was now behind her, she could hear haggard breathing and the feeling of fingers on her arms. She sighed and smiled another night where they all blended together and blurred into the same faces. She didn't care they were her food, her water, her source of survival. The wheels revolved on money and this is how she made hers.

-

A rare break, a chance to clean herself up before the next client, the man seemed out of it, twitching still laying in a daze. It gave her time to fix her makeup before the next one.

"It is true!" suddenly he was on his feet her head snapped to him.

"You really do goddess, you bring me closer to them I can feel it!" oh now she remembered him, a regular, always requested her, despite the worrying amount he came he always paid well, so she brushed off the doorman's offer to get rid of him.

"What are you going on about?" she asked bored.

"Let's do it again, let me feel it again!" he staggered over and she offhandedly wondered could he even get it up again, his heart may actually give out and pushing him off her seemed hard, not that she couldn't fight just that dead weight and lots of it was a pain to move.