|Chapter 1|

Your arrival to the palace was not a pleasant one, you were dumped on the back of a horse and with all the bumping of the journey paired with not sitting upright you felt sick when you arrived. With little time to recover you were shoved through a large back door and the high priest snapped at the guards as you both entered.

"I want her washed of the filth she's coated in, then I want her dressed appropriately, when you have done that bring her to me" with that he turned on his heel and left.

You didn't like the orders but said nothing, what could you say against the might of high priests and the Pharaoh's army. Nothing if you wanted to be smart and live through the next night. Perhaps you could appeal... That other priest seemed to be sympathetic, the one you were getting dragged to after being washed and dressed not so much but you'd won over the scum of the criminal world before, a high priest could be a new challenge. You were thrown into a large glittering gold and white bath room. Large square pools served as bathing points decorated beautifully with crystal clear water in each a few women who were there looked up in shock but continued more hushed conversations as they watched you. You were ordered to strip and wash, you sighed you had no complaints the hot water may help soothe your ankle. The warm water was enjoyable and you appreciated feeling clean again, stripped to your bare face you felt exposed without the makeup but you weren't in any position to make demands, so with a few quiet mental insults towards the guards you enjoyed what time you had to relax. A short while later you heard a thud beside you and noticed a pile of cottons and linens, one set to dry yourself the other pile an elegant Egyptian cotton dress, colourless but far better than your destroyed one.

You dressed and slipped on the shoes you were offered letting your hair hang loose however it fell combing it semi into place. As soon as you were out you were being led, down corridors, through doors and quickly realised you had no way of even trying to navigate back or out. Even if you could get away you had nowhere to run. The guards banged on a door before it was opened, they bowed and left. You were then face to face with admittedly one of your saviours. You held your hands together in front of you. You decided to observe your situation, get more of a feel on what things you should say to be more favourable with him if it was at all possible.

"Well you certainly look more respectable" he looked you over and sneered.

"If you'd sent word in advance I would've made more of an effort for such high class company" you replied bowing your head but only slightly. You were a little more comfortable, more used than you should be to fights and whatever else. What still shocked you was that dragon, you put it down to a dream, a wish to be protected that manifested in your mind to try and calm you.

"As if criminals like you could ever make an effort that would actually impress me" he narrowed his eyes.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't add to the concubines in glittering temples sent by the gods to please you, not all of us have the choice to better conditions or the luck to be born into noble rankings" you sighed.

He looked down on you, maybe he was right to but against every odd you were still here still alive, taking care of yourself and that was something you were proud of. He sighed and closed his eyes shaking his head.

"I don't care about whatever awful upbringing you had, people always have a choice and I don't care much how you want to waste your life" he hissed.

"Then why have you brought me here?" You asked.

You had a few ideas but he fit none of them. He was not the type who would've needed to snatch such a low-ranking concubine for his own needs. His status would get him anything and from what you could see of his looks through the ridiculous head gear he wasn't in trouble there, other than that the next one was almost the most unlikely, that he would question the dragon. He looked at you, stared you up then opened the door fully.