|Chapter 7| |Seto|

You supposed you had seen it coming in a way. The festival of Min had been a nice distraction, a break or possibly a reward to mark your advancement in training but now it was back to hard work and lots of it.

Your outings increased and while fighting was a rare occurrence on them it gave you an opportunity to get to know the other high priests. Shada and Karim were the two priests who most often ventured out of the palace besides Seto. Isis and Akhenaden mainly stayed within the palace and Mahado went out now and then. Both Shada and Karim took their roles very seriously and seemed to have no problem accepting you as trainee war advisor into the court of the Pharaoh. The first time you were out of the palace grounds since the raid with Seto was with Karim, he had taught you the basics of riding a horse which you were more than grateful for and with some practice your confidence grew. He struct you as something of an older brother type figure in the court and seemed to look out for those around him including you when he could. Horse riding was something you would have to learn if you were going to be in battle and being able to ride on your own gave you a sense of freedom in a way, to know you wouldn't need to rely on a man for transport. It would naturally be a while before you tore off across the desert or fought on horseback, but simple trotting was comfortable to you with some practice. You found it strange not having biting comments or warnings hissed at you considering the majority of your time and training was spent with Seto. Did you miss him...? You quickly shook that notion off, missing being insulted? You'd have to be delusional. Despite his short praise after the raid it quickly returned to normal. Much to your dismay your new training had been less than inspiring.

Supposedly just being able to see Kas was a sign that you were somewhat of a natural in the area given that civilians typically were unable to see anything.

For the introduction to your training you were back at the priest in white and blues side. After showing up at your door he escorted you to the shrine of Wedju, a short distance from the palace but still within its confines. It gave more of a sense to just how expansive the palace and its grounds were, like a small bustling village of it's own built from the finest limestone. The shrine towered up into the sky almost matching the palace in height. The interior was held up by pillars and fires burned to illuminate what the shrine held. You looked around in awe at the slabs which lined the walls in every direction, reaching from the floor to the ceiling.

"Don't just stand there, come on" Seto snapped.

You quickly snapped your head back to him seeing he had already began to climb stairs in the centre of the room. Following him up until the stairs levelled out onto a platform giving a better view of all the slabs around you he began to explain.

"Each slab you see is a ka captured from a criminal after judgement has been passed" he elaborated "the strength of a person's ba will determine the strength of their ka" he moved to show you the contraption on his arm he had used before.

"This is a diadhank, with this select few are able to call forth any of the kas you see here" he began "it can also be used to call forth your own ka but as your own ka is directly linked to your ba do so with caution" he warned.

"So it's summoned... like magic?" You asked wrapping your head around, or trying to, how this all worked.

"I suppose you could put it like that, this gauge shows your ba level" he flicked the wings of the diadhank out and the gauge was lit, full.

"Battle and calling forth kas will deplete this, it's crucial you don't let the gauge run out" he said.

"What happens if it does?" You asked.

"Well that's simple, you'll die" he said like it was a passing comment and not something critical.

"Don't look so worried, your ba can be recovered through rest, just don't get caught in a situation you can't get out of" he said, again completely downplaying the severity.