|Chapter 3|

In the days and weeks that followed you had settled into the routine and navigated your way to the courtyard, the training grounds, your room and throne room comfortably. Your lessons were going well, Seto's training was as harsh as ever but you had come on well and liked to think he was impressed even if he never voiced that he hadn't made anymore remarks on you being a criminal or a whore which you counted as a victory in and of itself. Mahado was the more praising of the two by far but you felt it was less your own skill and more his own style of teaching and way of instilling confidence and encouragement that had you improving so quickly. Either way your strength had grown in your time there and you'd become at least amicable with Mana and Mahado even if the girl basically forced her ever cheery manner on you, other than that you didn't have much cause to chat to anyone else. You sometimes broached the topic of Kas to Seto and asked for certain input on strategies, while your conversation stuck to mainly lessons and other things you'd need to know it occasionally moved into what you liked to call 'joking jabs'.

Another positive was that on one day you'd been allowed with a guard as an escort to go on a trip to the city but most importantly to the market. There you were able to pick up some essentials at the expense of the palace. It was termed as payment for your hard work and effort as well as reimbursing the lost wages and saved money you had from your last workplace. It was worthwhile to request your own clothing, some nice pieces you could dine in and more practical ones for fighting, in plain cottons and blacks. Black would in theory cover up blood and not get as noticeably dirty on the battlefield. Along with that it allowed you to get your beloved makeup. You felt much more at ease and more yourself now you'd somewhat settled into palace life and were allowed your own possessions and styles. While still guarded, you went by your name, the one you'd taken at work, Sekhmet but disclosed your real name to no one but you did feel more yourself.

Today it was just past midday and you'd managed to share breakfast with Isis who seemed pleased with your progress and commitment not that there was much else to do or opportunity to shirk duties, it was nice to chat to her and not a male but not soon after you made your way to the courtyard where you had a scheduled lesson with Mahado. You didn't mind of course, and you'd been practicing all he'd taught you so far and were confident it would be a smooth lesson. As you rounded the corner you smiled and waved to Mahado but almost stopped in your tracks when you saw who was with him.

Sitting beside him on the ledge of one of the small courtyard walls was the Pharaoh himself, his striking tri coloured hair, those amethyst eyes now you saw them in the sunlight were fixed on you and he offered a smile. You weren't sure what to do and, in your stupor, smiled back, thinking it seemed very casual. You approached and bowed slightly before speaking.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Pharaoh, High Priest, should I come back later?" You asked wondering if they had important matters to discuss.

"Nonsense, Mahado is a childhood friend of mine, I actually came here to enquire about you" It was the Pharaoh who answered and you were a little taken aback that someone so important would concern themselves with someone like you. Yes you were to be his war advisor and you supposed an update on progress would be helpful but you'd assumed that the high priests would have given him the account rather than him coming to get it.

"Me? Well I suppose I've gained some skill since I came here" you answered honestly.

"Mahado do you think I could interrupt your lesson and borrow her for a bit" The Pharaoh directed his gaze to him and Mahado nodded.

"Missing one lesson won't hinder her considering her progress" he allowed and the Pharaoh stood looking at you.

"Walk with me" he said and you did, you were on edge naturally wondering what he wanted.