chapter two: awkward

a/n: okay, so I've been on a writing roll and it probably won't last long

a/n: okay, so I've been on a writing roll and it probably won't last long. So here's chapter two!

T W O : AWKWARD

"ONE LAST QUESTION," Dustin drawled. After their last periods, the two met again to walk to Dustin's mansion. Mae knew exactly how to get there because of her party nights when they were at his house, but she pretended to be a little surprised to be reminded he lived in a mansion. They managed to bond well.

Mae laughed genuinely. "Fine. What is it?"

Dustin's expression turned serious and Mae's laughter died down. "Do you put cereal in the bowl first or milk?"

She rose one of her eyebrows incredulously. "Seriously?"

"I am very serious. I like my food," He said, patting his stomach affectionately.

"Fair enough. I put cereal and then milk; that's the only way to do it."

Dustin grinned. "Yes! That's my girl, we can officially be best friends now."

She shook her head in disbelief. "So if I answered incorrectly, we wouldn't be best friends?"

He shrugged. "Nah, I'd just ask you why you never told me you were Snow."

Mae's eyes shot out of her head as she turned fast to look at him. "What did you say?"

"I said," he emphasized, "I'd ask you would you ever consider watching a live show. Like... with me? Because I really adore those live Broadway musicals and none of my friends want to go see them with me, so it's always really awkward going alone." Dustin shot her a bashful smile, scratching the back of his head.

Me sighed inwardly in relief. She must have gotten a bit paranoid. She gave him a smile though, "Oh, I actually haven't seen one ever. Of course, I'd go. But I don't know if I could afford a ticket..."

Dustin slung one of his arms loosely around her shoulder, and flicked his wrist in dismissal. All of a sudden, Mae was reminded of Parker. "Nonsense. When a show comes up, we'll discuss and I could just get one for you. Honestly, I just want company."

Mae bit her lip, feeling hesitant about having Dustin buy tickets for her. A single one could potentially cost $200 a piece for back seats. But before she could back out, they had arrived at his mansion. It was 8,000 square feet of stone, wood, and cement, and it was all the Jin family's.

But to Mae's surprise, Dustin frowned up at his own home and tugged her along through the iron gates.

The fountain at the center of the circular driveway was all very familiar to Mae. She could've navigated the majority of the house with her eyes closed because she walked through it every party in the dark. But she acted clueless or it would cost her Snow.

"Wow, what do your parents do?" She asked him in a wistful whisper as they entered the silent house. It was a common question, and she was sure a multitude of people have asked him before.