chapter ten: paintings

a/n: I know I've been having quite a few inconsistent updates, I just feel like updating a few hours early

a/n: I know I've been having quite a few inconsistent updates, I just feel like updating a few hours early. ever suddenly feel really depressed for no reason at all? yep, that's what's apparently made me want to update early...?

  T E N : PAINTINGS  

PARKER RANG the doorbell at 8:30 on Sunday morning. And Dustin was not happy.

"What the hell, man?" Dustin growled, rubbing his eyes from the morning light. He had a luxurious, fluffy robe on and bare feet when he opened the front door to the mansion. Allen and the majority of the staff usually had Sunday morning off.

"Sorry, late night?" Parker winced, stepping into his friend's home.

Dustin groaned loudly. "You have no idea. The show was great, don't get me wrong. But I had to drop off Mae and we got a little food, too, and I didn't actually fall asleep until like... 1 in the morning. I need at least 11 to 12 hours of sleep for Sundays."

Parker raised his eyebrow in confusion. "Mae went with you?"

"Yeah," Dustin replied lightly, climbing the stairs, "you and Lewis were there when Mae and I were talking about it."

"Oh," was all the artist could come up with.

The two didn't speak until they reached Dustin's room and he began rustling through a pile of papers on his desk.

"So I have a request for you..." Parker drawled, stepping around Dustin's desk to look through the window.

Dustin hummed in response.

Parker pressed his lips together to hide his giddy smile. "Apparently, Doctor Janet said that Pete can come home for Christmas—"

"Shit, really?" Dustin exclaimed, a grin coming to his face. "That's fucking awesome!"

"Exactly!" Parker parroted his best friend's grin. "My mom really wants to throw a Christmas party, but we don't have enough space in our apartment, so I was wondering if—"

"You could host it at my place?" Dustin finished ecstatically. "Of course, dude! I'd be glad to help and lend my house to you. Y'all know how much I love Pete."

"Really?" Parker asked in relief. "Thank you, Dustin! Anything you need after this... and I mean anything—I'll do it. I owe you big time, and I realized I haven't been the greatest friend ever." He rubbed the back of his neck anxiously.

Dustin laughed it off. "It's chill, man." While he resumed to shuffling through papers, Parker explored the office and stumbled upon the canvases lining the bottom of the floor in the corner. The paint seemed to have been almost all dried with a few wet spots. He began analyzing them and appreciating the artist's skill.

"Whose are these?" He asked in almost a whisper.

From behind, Dustin's smile shone through his words. "Mae's. Aren't they great? They're for our project."

Parker suddenly remembered that Dustin and Mae had been partnered up. "Oh right, how's that coming along anyways?"

Dustin chuckled. "See for yourself. Her paintings are gorgeous. I'm writing out a script that's focused on a dude from the upper class who falls in love with a thief from the lower class, and she's been portraying everything incredibly."

Parker stared at the beautifully painted canvases as they came alive in his head. The characters and scenes were so vividly created. There were women in bright, big gowns; men in suits and top hats; gorgeous scenery of gardens and towns. Then there was an unfinished canvas of the poorer side of what he assumed was a story. There was an unfinished, rundown building and people sitting up against it in rags.

But the people's eyes held an element of happiness and their facial expressions made him feel warm inside, whereas the rich had facades of cold, stone.

How Mae could capture emotions into her work was a mystery he had to ask her about... almost as much as finding out who Snow was.

A thought occurred to him and he turned to his best friend. "Hey Dustin, who followed you into your room the other night at your party?"

Dustin didn't glance up from the manuscript he was scanning over. "Mae did. Why?"

Parker's insides flipped. "Nothing. Just curious." He had an official lead—Mae went in, but Snow came out... extremely suspicious if you asked him.

Suddenly, he started thinking about ways he could get her to admit it. There was simply something about Mae that he liked more than Snow. And there were things about Snow that he liked better than Mae.

Mae was extremely talented at what she does, and he could tell just how passionate she was. She was also adorable in the way she blushed and acted shy. He hated to admit that there was a twinge of jealousy in him whenever she and Dustin connected.

Snow, on the other side, was confident. He liked that about her. She was beautiful in a way all eyes would be on her when she walked in a room. But how were these two so different if they were both one person?

a/n: yes, a short update, but at least Parker's gotten somewhere, right? trying to get there haha

Vote please :) it would make my day