chapter four: questions

a/n: please don't kill me cuz I haven't updated in so long! I just caught a serious case of writer's block and laziness for the first half of summer

a/n: please don't kill me cuz I haven't updated in so long! I just caught a serious case of writer's block and laziness for the first half of summer... btw this chapter is going to be half as long as my other ones because.. it can be?

F O U R : QUESTIONS

THE HOUSE BELOW vibrated with the blasted sound waves of music when Parker hoisted himself on the roof of some Junior's house. For some dumb reason, Juniors at this school loved to party on Monday nights. Parker had his sketchbook and pencils tucked away inside his jacket while his hands held a six-pack of beer. He couldn't get vodka tonight.

Snow was already seated at the very top, gazing at the stars. Again, she had sparkly, dark blue eyeshadow and eyeliner that looked as sharp as a knife. By this point (and after three relentless months of trying), Parker gave up on asking why.

But tonight, he would try again, for he had questions. Maybe he should have tried harder getting his hands on some vodka.

When he finally had himself seated next to her, he released a sigh. "The host is really priding himself down there that you came, ya know. Even though you're technically not down there. Bet by tomorrow he'll be boasting."

Snow had an amused look on her face. "I had no idea I was that popular."

"Really?" He asked in sarcastic disbelief. "Popular isn't an accurate term... more like notorious."

She snorted, taking a beer that he handed to her. "Okay." She dumped a mouthful of the beverage down her throat, while Parker pulled out his sketchbook.

Snow eyed the book and pencil warily as he flipped through the pages. Page after page came the past hundred sketches of her from the previous three months.

"Do you happen to have a twin, Snow?" He asked casually. When they first began interacting, he would pester her with questions of her true identity. Not long after he began, he gave up, and here's where he resumed.

"Back at it again, Parker?" She mused finishing her bottle and setting it beside her on the roof.

He shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "Something's just come up and I think I have a lead."

Parker caught the way she stiffened at the mention of him having a lead on her true person. But it was gone as quick as it came.

"No, I don't have a twin sister. Why do you think that I do?"

"I don't know. Thought I recognized someone earlier today."

"There are such things as doppelgangers," she reminded, snatching up another beer and taking a swig.

"True," he agreed, sketching the contour of her position.

Snow was suddenly reminded of what her mission was tonight. She had to prove Lyn wrong. "Why do you draw me so often?"

Parker looked surprised at the question. He grinned sheepishly. "Er, because I like drawing you? And-and plus! We just happen to meet up really often, so it's good practice."

Snow was satisfied by his answer, but a miniscule portion of her was disappointed. Was that all he thought of her? But ha, Lyn, you were wrong, she still told herself.

By the time Parker spoke again, he was capturing the way her dark hair draped over her shoulders and flew when there were breezes. "You told me you go to Liberal Academy, too."

"Did I?" She inquired lightly. She knew she did, but where was the fun in that? It was a topic that she was willing to tease him with.

"I'm pretty sure you did," he muttered. "But what do you study there? What's your specialty in the arts besides making that impossible shade of blue eyeshadow?"

"I study visual art. Not dancing, actual art like drawing and painting... I'm only giving you a generalization," she told him.

Parker paused his sketching to stare at her again. Her posture was rigidly straight, probably because the topic was centered around her actual identity. When he turned to face her fully, their knees brushed one another, and even through the rough fabric of his jeans, he could feel the shock. Not to mention how his jeans also tightened when he watched her lips wrap around the bottle opening and gulp down another bottle of beer.

A "relationship" three months in the making, and he still wasn't close to figuring out who she was. "When will you tell me who you are really?" He asked her, finishing his first bottle. Compared to Snow, he was a wimp at drinking. And all of a sudden, he imagined what it would be like to kiss her. She'd taste like alcohol, no doubt, but she'd also feel right against his lips... quite unlike the other girls he distracted himself with, he decided.

Snow glanced at him. "When the time's right."

Parker scowled to himself and down at the sketchbook on his lap. "Ever had a boyfriend before?"

Snow was a bit taken back by his question. She tensed slightly. "Yes. Why?"

He shrugged, he was half-expecting the answer. "I just expected you not to since you're so wild. You probably wouldn't want a dude to pin you down."

"Hey, I'm not that bad, okay?" She pouted.

"Want to prove that theory?" Parker smirked.

Snow rolled her eyes. "Smooth, Ly. Smooth. And no, I don't need to prove it. I just need the right guy to bring that part of me out." With that, Snow peered at her phone to find it was very early morning, and stood up.

"Maybe I'll see you around," she snickered teasingly as she climbed down the roof.

Parker smiled to himself as he thought about actually testing that theory. Maybe one day.  

Vote for Parker or Snow to test that theory!