chapter fifteen: schemes

a/n: sorry that I've been really slacking on my updates—school just started like last week for me and I feel like it's already been months :(((( but here is the next chapter, enjoy! 

a/n: sorry that I've been really slacking on my updatesschool just started like last week for me and I feel like it's already been months :(((( but here is the next chapter, enjoy! 

ALSO thank you all so so much for 100 votes! Let's get those reads up to 1,000 and a bonus chapter will be headin' your way ;)

F I F T E E N : SCHEMES

MAE AWOKE to a terrible pounding in her head. The feeling was foreign to her, and so was the taste of bile in her mouth as she scrambled out of the sheets and into the bathroom. Bending over the rim of the toilet, she sat on her legs and threw up the little content in her stomach into the porcelain bowl.

She was having a hangover, she eventually concluded. It was her first ever, actually. Never had she had to deal with vomiting up her dinner, feeling like a nail was being hammered into her scalp, or worst of all—not being able to remember anything that had happened the night before.

She groaned, flushing down the disgusting things in the toilet before limping over to the sink. When she caught her reflection, she almost three up again. Her hair was a tangled, deconstructed bird's nest, her eyeshadow was smudged across the top half of her face, but her winged liner still looked on fleek.

The mini pack of makeup wipes felt heavy in her jacket pocket and she dug around for them. After successfully removing her face of all makeup, she rinsed her mouth thoroughly.

When she turned to walk back into the bedroom, she finally took in all of it: black walls, a cluttered desk with charcoal pencils scattered across it, and white shutters on the windows instead of curtains.

Her eyes widened. "Oh fuck no..."

Just then, the door to the bedroom began to open, and Mae panicked, ducking back into the bathroom and locking the door.

"Mae?" She recognized Parker's voice and she began to hyperventilate.

What happened last night? Did she say something stupid? Did they have sex?

Her pants had been on when she awoke, actually all of her clothes were still in her person. So having been deflowered was thrown off the table.

Parker knocked on the bathroom door behind her. "Mae? I know you're in there..."

"How did I get here?" She demanded, ripping the hair tie off her wrist and throwing her hair up into a makeshift ponytail. "And is this what a hangover feels like?"

He chuckled through the door. "Yes, Miss I-have-a-very-high-alcohol-tolerance. And how you got here—I drove you. You fell asleep at the party last night, and I'm pretty sure bringing you back to Icelyn with your unconscious body in my arms would look pretty bad. But please, open the door. I can make the pain go away."

Mae huffed, removing the jacket she had on off. "Are you sure that's all that happened last night? And also, how in the hell could you have gotten me so drunk that I passed out?"