chapter fourteen: absinthe

a/n: eek registration week is upon me! when do/did you guys start school? anyways, I'm so lucky to have gotten this update out (a new chapter of Out of Orbit will also be out shortly)

a/n: eek registration week is upon me! when do/did you guys start school? anyways, I'm so lucky to have gotten this update out (a new chapter of Out of Orbit will also be out shortly)... this will explain some things.

F O U R T E E N : ABSINTHE

PARKER BALANCED two shot glasses in his hands that both held a mysterious, green liquid. Tonight he was going to get answers. When he had first looked up absinthe on Amazon.com, he wasn't sure what to expect, but when he unboxed it Wednesday evening, he wasn't disappointed. Without opening the bottle, he could smell the alcohol. Hopefully, it was strong enough to get a heavy drinker, like Snow, drunk.

The liquid sloshed in the glasses as he set them down carefully—one in front of Snow, and the other in front of himself. Why he hadn't thought of this sooner—he had no clue.

The two were seated on the back patio of someone's Friday night party. Parker had offered to grab drinks, and returned with his own concoctions.

Snow cocked a curious eyebrow at him. "And this is...?"

Parker shrugged. "The dude told me it was a mystery shot."

She hummed in response with a very uncertain nod. "And why is it green?"

"Again, it's a mystery." Parker felt a smirk crawl onto his lips. "Are you scared?"

Snow sniffed and took up the shot into her hand. "Of course not. As long as it doesn't get me hammered." Parker smiled to himself as she muttered, "Bottoms up." They both downed their drinks; Parker feeling ay-okay because his was only water dyed green; and Snow trying hard to steady herself. She felt herself sway, but covered it up by resting her chin against the palm of her hand.

However, the signs of vertigo and a future of drunkness didn't go unnoticed by Parker. He had to agree that this was a dirty move, but he desperately wanted answers.

"You okay over there?" Parker asked, knowing well that she wasn't.

She nodded hastily. "Of course I am," She slurred, "are you okay?"

"Yup."

Suddenly, Snow giggled. Like someone who stole everyone's Halloween candy and was sugar high. "OMG, I just had the craziest thought."

"What?" Parker stifled a laugh. The alcohol was kicking in.

"I just thought that you drugged me and that's why I'm acting like this!" Another giggle. "You would never do that to me, right?"

Parker felt a tug of guilt on his chest, but he pushed it aside. "I wouldn't, Snow. Or is that even your real name? Actually, I know it isn't. So tell me... who are you really beneath all that makeup?"

Snow sat back in her seat, suddenly looking very sober. Parker began to panic—what if she was playing with him? Again? But all the doubt was shoved aside when he heard her answer. "I thought you knew? I'm Mae. Mae Chen, you know, the sad little painter girl who wants to see Dustin and Pete and Parky happy?"