chapter twelve: useless

a/n: hi everyone! I'm back early; yay

a/n: hi everyone! I'm back early; yay...? just so you know, this chapter will have a lot more time skips than normal, but that's just because I've cut it down to only the necessary parts. so please, enjoy!

btw, I've been thinking about writing some bonus chapters, too hehe (bonus chapters like the whole story behind lewis and mae or Mae, Parker, or Dustin's actual thoughts behind a chapter).

T W E L V E : USELESS

Wednesday (10 days until the due date)

"WE NEED TO set up a date to go shopping for dresses for the winter formal coming up!" Joanna exclaimed cheerily to Mae and Icelyn.

Icelyn wholeheartedly agreed, while Mae smiled thinly. She wasn't as much into the idea of the dance as the others were. She'd rather spend the night trying to make sure her college applications were ready to be mailed in, or that her mural for Pete was going to get somewhere before she had to leave Christmas Eve morning.

Icelyn noticed this, drowning at her best friend. "Why the long face, Mae? The Winter Formal is a sign that school will be out very soon."

Mae sighed. "It's not that, Lyn. You know I'm not into dances, and there are a lot more important things I have to get done. Besides, it's not like anyone's going to ask me. Sorry, I have to run to class right now. See you both at lunch."

Before Mae turned to leave, Icelyn held her wrist. "Oh, by the way, I won't be able to drive you to the hospital or Dustin's house. I have a last minute scheduled rehearsal for the winter performance. Sorry, Mae." Icelyn gave her friend an apologetic look.

"It's fine, I'll just ask Dustin," Mae smiled in forgiveness. She then turned on her heel and disappeared into one of the nearby classrooms.

Icelyn and Joanna exchanged mischievous looks... today was going to be fun.

"I'M SORRY, MAE," Dustin apologized sincerely with a frown, "but Allen's forcing me to pick out new curtains for my room. It's stupid, but he says I have to. You can swing by at around 4:30."

Mae made a face. "4:30 is too little time to look for curtains, Dustin. School ends at 3:20 and the nearest home decor place is 30 minutes away."

"Mae, it's a minimum day."

Mae slapped her hands to her mouth. "Oh my gosh, I completely forgot!" Dustin shrugged wordlessly. "Dang, I'm gonna have to ask Jo then."

"Ask me what?" Joanna popped up by Mae's side, sliding her chair across the History classroom.

"If you could drive me to the hospital and then to Dustin's house afterwards?" Mae asked with a bright, hopeful smile.

It immediately dropped when Joanna winced. "Oh, sorry Mae-Bae. I have a rehearsal, too."

"Oh." Mae sighed. "Maybe I'll just borrow someone's—"

"Hey!" Dustin exclaimed, clapping his hands together, "I bet Parker can let you hitch a ride. Parker!"

Mae cringed as Parker glanced over at them from his desk. He was reading a page out of the history textbook, but slammed it shut and shuffled over to them.

"'Sup?" He lifted a brow and crossed his arms. His eyes scanned over his audience, but eventually stuck to Mae.

Dustin hooked his arm around the back of his seat and twisted his body to face his best friend. "Could you let Mae catch a ride with you to the hospital and then drop her off at my place later?"

Without hesitation, Parker nodded, "Yeah, that's fine."

Mae managed a tight-lipped smile. "Cool. Thanks." She didn't even get a chance to object.

HALFWAY TO the hospital, Mae realized she had forgotten her paintbrushes at her dorm. She must have forgotten to take them with her after her lunch time painting session. She didn't say anything to Parker though because the atmosphere in the car was very tense and awkward.

Suddenly, Parker muttered, "So are we going to address the elephant in the car?"

"I don't think I know what you mean," Mae retorted, staring out the window.

"I think you know exactly what I mean," he chuckled, "you saw the note on the back of the drawing. I know who you are, Mae. Actually, not even Mae. Snow..."

Parker backed into a parking spot and killed the engine. He leaned next to Mae close enough that their noses were almost touching.

"I hardly know this 'Snow', Parker," she lied, a stony expression on her face. "Now if you excuse me, I have a mural to paint." Mae stepped out of Parker's car and slammed the door, jogging into the hospital herself.

THE RIDE TO Mae's dorm was silent this time. Parker had chosen to converse mainly with his mother while Peter accompanied Mae while she turned the room's walls into a galaxy. At 4:05, Mae told Parker that they needed to stop by her dorm to pick up her own paintbrushes and another canvas she had prepared for her and Dustin's project.

Mae, feeling split, decided to be polite and invite him up. Parker, still suspicious, took up her offer.

Once they entered the dorm, Mae absentmindedly asked if he wanted anything to eat or drink.

"Eh, I'm fine. Thanks," he mumbled, stuffing his hands into the pockets of leather jacket.

Mae pressed her lips and shrugged. "Okay. I'll just be a minute."

Parker nodded, casually looking all around the living room. A door was left wide open, and he saw a bedroom painted dark blue with a bed pushed against one wall, a desk against another, and a wardrobe across from them.

But what really got him smirking was the midnight blue bomber jacket thrown haphazardly on the bed.

a/n: haha I felt like smirking there, too, cuz no matter what Mae does, Parker finds a way to turn his thoughts against (?) her. the day will continue in the next chapter and y'all will see why everyone was being so sneaky today...

Please vote for more! And maybe some bonus chapters!!