chapter nine: call

a/n: might be short; can't really tell

a/n: might be short; can't really tell. but here's a little insight into Mae's fam ^ ^

N I N E : CALL

ICELYN WAS NURSING both a hangover and a sprained ankle. The dancer hissed as she pressed the ice pack to her purple colored ankle and held her head with her other hand. Mae rushed in with a glass of water and painkillers. At Icelyn's bedside was already an empty shot glass of ginger and an empty plate with dirty utensils.

"Here is the second dosage," Mae whispered, trying to avoid making her best friend's headache worse.

"Thanks, Mae." Icelyn threw her head back as she took the pills, pursuing them with the glass of water. Mae placed the empty glass on the plate, then put the utensils in the cup along with the shot glass.

Mae folded her legs under her on Icelyn's bed. "I'll wash those later."

Icelyn winced again, "Damn it, Ace and Tyler are really gonna have my ass when they find out. Not going to be able to dance for what? A week?"

"Maybe two, but it doesn't look too bad," Mae mumbled, looking over the bruised area. "Hopefully they won't bother you too much about it."

Icelyn shook her head and pursed her lips. "Nah, knowing those two idiots, I'm not going to hear the end of it, even after I can dance again and beat them both in the dance offs."

There was a moment of silence where Icelyn took the time to breath deeply and try to numb her ankle with the cold of the ice. "So what happened last night?"

Mae chuckled, remembering the night of Dustin's birthday party in full detail. "I was coming down from saying happy birthday to Dustin and giving him his birthday present when I remembered that you are a total lightweight—"

"Shut up!" Icelyn shouted, blushing harshly. It wasn't a secret that Icelyn was the exact opposite of her best friend when it came to alcohol tolerance.

"Anyways," Mae resumed, "I found you in the rec room on the pool table dancing. Long story short, you fell and sprained your ankle. At least you didn't twist it or break it. I was there to drag you and Jo home in your car that I drove to the party. Then this morning, I helped get Jo's car back from the mansion."

The dancer looked extremely embarrassed and she cast her gaze downwards. "Was I bad? Besides everything, was my dancing at least okay drunk?"

Mae fixed her with a look that asked "really?" but answered anyways. "Yes, yes. You were absolutely fine. But that's not the point. Maybe you should stick to apple juice from now on that isn't spiked. I'm sure Lyn on a sugar high is easier to control than a drunk one."

Icelyn slapped her forehead, laughing breathily. "Of course. But I'm glad you actually decided to show up."

"Me too," Mae said without intending the double meaning.