chapter eleven: mural

a/n: dunno what to say except that I've been messing up the dates

a/n: dunno what to say except that I've been messing up the dates... enjoy!

E L E V E N : MURAL

Tuesday (11 days until the due date)

WHEN MRS. LEE called Mae up to her desk Tuesday morning, Mae was scanning through every possible thing she could've done wrong recently. Mrs. Lee was a difficult painting professor to work with, but Mae somehow made it onto her favorites list. But this was still frightening.

With paintbrush in hand, Mae hurriedly made sure there wasn't any paint on her face as she walked up to Mrs. Lee. The woman's black hair with a few gray ones were pinned into a tight bun on the back of her head.

"Yes, Mrs. Lee?" She said softly due to the quiet atmosphere of the Paint Studio.

Mrs. Lee smiled gently at one of her favorite students. "Mae, I have a fantastic opportunity for you."

Curious, Mae arched an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"Yes, it's fantastic, I think," the woman gushed. "The local hospital is calling for a group of talented painters to create vivid, beautiful murals on the walls for the cancer patients, especially the kiddos. Of course, you were one of the first students I thought of."

"Wow, that sounds great!" Mae chirped in excitement.

Mrs. Lee nodded in agreement. "They told me that you can just swing on by this afternoon to consult a few patients and brainstorm a few ideas for your portion."

Mae bobbed her head obediently. "Of course, yes. I'll be there after school."

The painting teacher smiled at Mae, "I believe in you," before dismissing her back to her easel.

"TELL ME AGAIN why you're here and not at my place finishing our project?" Dustin asked good naturedly, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "When you said we couldn't meet up, I didn't think I'd see you here. Can't get enough of me, eh?"

Mae rolled her eyes with a laugh as she walked beside Dustin through the white hallway of the local hospital. Icelyn had dropped her off earlier and promised to be back to pick her up by 5:45.

"I was invited to paint murals for the cancer patients," Mae announced excitedly while clutching her black bag of paintbrushes. Mrs. Lee had further informed her that the hospital—who was working with an art store—was providing paint and paintbrushes, but Mae insisted on bringing her own brushes. "Ya know, gives them something to admire and be happy about. So what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I'm here visiting a friend," Dustin replied casually as they rounded the corner to the area of the hospital where cancer patients were treated. "His room is coming up, so I'll probably just catch you later."