chapter twenty-one: christmas

T W E N T Y - O N E : CHRISTMAS

THE ONLY TEXTS that Mae received from both Parker and Dustin were to remind her of the Christmas party at Dustin's house. The Christmas party being held in Pete's honor. She couldn't decide whether to go or not, especially with the weird tension between the three of them. But she still bought each of them a gift, along with one for both Lyn and Jo.

When she voiced her problem with her mother, her mother encouraged her to go and have fun, no matter the tension. Or the weirdness. If anything, her mother had also offered to go with Mae. And Mae instantly begged her mother to accompany her to the party.

The circular driveway of the Jin mansion was lined with cars all around, leaving absolutely no space for Mae to park. She had chosen to wear only a simple knitted sweater and jeans instead of her regular Hollister. Her mother opted for a long sleeved velvet dress.

Mae parked the car on the sidewalk outside of the gate and walked her mother in, both of them carrying presents. The party seemed to be in full swing—Christmas tunes set a jovial ambience, and the walls were decked out in wreaths and ornaments and lights. This was the most festive Mae had ever seen this place.

The doors to the manor were left wide open, beckoning the guests in. Adults stood in small groups in the main foyer holding glasses of bubbly. They chatted merrily as if they knew each other. Mae guessed they were the parents of Pete's friends, since the party was in his honor.

“I didn't realize that you meant your friend was this rich,” her mother whispered to Mae, linking their arms together. “I'm going to get lost in here,” she chuckled, clutching the gift box in her hands a bit tighter.

Mae let out a breathy laugh. “That's what I thought, too, when I first came here.” Her first time here had been her very first party… and her first appearance as Snow. She shuddered, searching the halls for any familiar faces.

She led them down the hall to the rather large living room. A massive, leafy green fir tree sat in the center of the room, reaching the ceiling with its golden and glowing star topper. Each layer of leaf was bedazzled with red, blue, and gold ornaments, and strings of popcorn and cranberry garlands, as well as the all-original warm LED lights. Presents of all different shapes, sizes, and colors were piled beneath the tree onto the fluffy Sherpa rug.

Mae suddenly frowned. The things she brought were so small compared to everyone else's. Mae's mother seemed to be thinking the same and patted her daughter's elbow.

“It's fine, honey. It's the thought that counts, right?”

“Right.” Mae gulped, leaning down to arrange Parker and Dustin's gifts with the rest. The same was done with Pete's. They had planned to deliver Icelyn and Jo's after the party.

“Okay,” her mother smiled brightly, “let's go find these three lucky boys.”

Mae tried returning the smile. “Let's go.” Sliding past more groups of adults and children scrambling about chasing each other, the two made it out of the living room and back into the foyer. Mae wandered though the house, heading toward the backyard. She knew every hallway and room in this house. She could sense where she was. She shook herself out of the daze she was in—Snow was no more. Both she and her mother had given up alcohol. No more parties. The map in her brain just happened to be convenient.