5. Cockatoo Lady

Casper

I stared at myself in the mirror and sighed. I hated these things. Not mirrors, balls.

Admittedly, at first I had been excited whenever my father threw me a ball. The first couple of years I was filled with anticipation, hoping that today would be the day when I would finally meet my mate.

Now I just felt like it was a huge waste of my time.

There was a knock on my door and Jamie, my Beta, stuck his head round the door.

"Come on Casper, the first guests are due to arrive any minute."

He disappeared again, just as quickly, probably keen to go and get a good spot downstairs.

Jamie also hadn't found his mate yet, so he too was eager to meet as many she-wolves as possible. He had only just turned 20 though, so he still had plenty of time left.

I stood up and took one last look in the mirror.

I guess I looked ok. People always told me I was good looking, but honestly, I wasn't sure if that was just because I was their future Alpha. I mean, who would tell their future leader that they looked like the back end of a bus?

I never used to worry about how I looked, but it was amazing what 5 years of searching for your mate could do to your confidence. I pushed a stray strand of hair out of my face. Maybe I should have had it cut shorter. I had thick dark brown hair, that had a habit of flopping in front of my face. Never mind, it was too late now, I thought while heading off towards my cell.

Yes, I started calling it my cell at some point last year. I hated that room. The constant expectation from all my guests that I would finally find 'the one', was just exhausting. And there was always that one demented werewolf who would pretend that she felt the connection when we touched and then we'd have to spend the next half hour convincing her family that it wasn't the case.

I entered the room, and took a seat. Someone had already put a coffee on the table for me. I would drink alcohol, but not till later, after I knew my my mate wasn't here.

After a few minutes peace and quiet, I could hear that the first guests had started to arrive.

I stood up and out of habit more than anything, started to brush down my suit. Today I had gone for a light grey suit with a black shirt and thin silver tie.

I saw a quick glimpse of someone checking through the hatch that I was ready. I'm sure it wasn't the usual Valet, but that didn't worry me.

A few seconds later the door opened and my cousin walked in with my uncle.

I gave her a quick hug and I exchanged some polite conversation with my uncle. It was usual for the family to arrive first. It meant we could get the evening started without the added pressure of the whole 'finding a mate' thing.

The next 10 minutes passed in a blur as the usual members of my family arrived and headed into the ballroom.

The next person to enter the room was someone I'd never met before. I tried to hide my look of disappointment that it had begun.

She looked nice enough with her sleek chestnut hair cascading around her in pretty curls, and she had a good figure that was accentuated well in a figure hugging green dress.

"I'm Casper," I said, "Nice to meet you." I held out my hand and the lady shook it, "Annabelle" she said with a smile.

Nothing. Nilch. Nada.