12. My Room

Casper

"Stop stressing about it!" I said to Jamie, getting a little tired of his sulking.

"But it wasn't fair!" he moaned.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. He didn't see me though because he was laid out on his back on the grass with his arm over his eyes.

"The green team won. They didn't break any of the rules."

He opened his eyes and looked at me intently. "Of course he broke the rules! He pissed in my territory! How's that not breaking the rules?!"

There was just no talking my beta out of this one. He was fiercely competitive, as all beta's are, but it drove me a little mad sometimes. It was, after all, only a game.

"It's not breaking the rules," I said. "Sure, it was a little disrespectful, but I think that was the whole point. He wanted to distract you, and the best way to do that was to get you angry. No one thinks straight when they're angry."

"Yes, but he also pushed you off that branch earlier. How can you not be mad about that?"

I just shrugged.

"SERIOUSLY!?!" he shouted.

I raised my eyebrow at him, and that was enough for him to visibly back down.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled looking down at the grass, "but I don't understand why you're not more mad about that. He basically assaulted his Alpha. You should have torn him apart for that."

I barely contained a snort of laughter. "Assault? Really?" I said. "He barely touched me. He's got guts though, I'll give him that. Have you any idea who he is?"

Jamie shook his head. "No, but I'll find out soon enough. He needs to be brought down a peg or two."

I laughed and stood up. I knew that Jamie would probably carry on sulking for some time, and I had somewhere I needed to be. Or rather someone I needed to see.

"Well, let me know when you find him," I said, "I'll catch you later."

Most of the wolves had disappeared and the training ground was nearly empty. I wandered round for a while until I spotted a familiar face.

"Hey," I said walking up to a young female with blonde hair.

She looked back at me, her eyes wide as saucers.

"Have you seen...." Damn it, I really needed to find out his name. "....your friend?"

"Errm, yes," she said, her cheeks flushing pink, "he's just gone to the manor house to see his uncle."

"Ok, thanks, er.." I guess this was the point I should try and find out people's names, "what did you say your name was?"

She chuckled slightly. "I didn't, but my name is Lyla."

"Oh, right, well thank you Lyla" I said, before turning and heading over to the manor.

I was amazed to find that my heart was racing slightly. Why did I find it so difficult to talk to people normally? Put me in front of a whole pack of wolves and I was fine. Ask me to make polite conversations with someone way below my status and I was a nervous wreck.

By the time I reached the manor I unintentionally had a scowl across my face. I was annoyed with myself. Annoyed that I had put myself in that position. I didn't need to talk to her, so why did I do it?

I was so absorbed in my private thoughts that I nearly ran into someone as I entered through the staff door.

On reflex, I glared at them for getting in my way, only to be met by a pair of slightly nervous hazel eyes with a gold ring, staring back at me.