6. A Snow Leopard

Joel

I was having more fun than I ever thought was possible in this place.

I was nervous at first about having to talk with all these high ranking guests, but really when it came down to it, they were very easy to get along with.

And by that, I mean it was very easy to read them, and tell them what they wanted to hear.

The next lady to come in was very pretty, but gosh, did she know it. She looked like she didn't want to be here, and that she was doing us all a service by allowing us to be in her presence.

"Good evening Miss. May I take your coat?"

She didn't answer me, but began taking her coat off. It was this cream fur monstrosity that I am sure probably only had a heartbeat yesterday.

"My, my, this is exquisite!" I said enthusiastically as she handed me her coat. "I'll make sure I put this one with the family coats and keep a close eye on it," in case it suddenly runs off on it's own!

This earned me a half look of acknowledgement. Well I tried!

She didn't seem to make any move to go and titivate herself in front of the mirror, so I said, "I'll go and see if he's ready for you now."

I hurried through the cloakroom, momentarily dumping the offending coat on a table, before scooting over to the hatch.

I noticed that someone had brought Casper another cup of coffee and he was sipping at it tentatively.

"Psst," I said trying to get his attention, but also very aware that the next guest was just on the other side of the doors.

"A Peacock," I said, then quickly shot away before I could see his reaction.

I opened the door for the lady and then quickly went back to retrieve her coat, which had now slipped off the table onto the floor, then hung it up properly.

I couldn't hear the interaction with Casper very well from where I was, but I could hear enough to know she wasn't his mate.

When I heard her go into the ballroom, I went back to the hatch. "Was I right?" I asked.

Casper spun round to look at me and smiled. His eyes lit up when he smiled, but I quickly looked away.

"I can see why you said that. She was very beautiful, but also very proud."

I smiled like a child who'd been told he got the answer right.

"But I'd have said she was a sheep."

"Really?" I said in disbelief. "Are you sure you know how to play this game? From what I saw, she was neither a follower, or wooly."

He smiled at me in a slightly condescending way.

"Have you ever heard of the phrase 'a wolf in sheep's clothing?"

"Yeah" duh!

"Well, she was a sheep in wolves' clothing."

"Why?" I asked, still not getting this.

"Who do you think she was?" he asked, placing his coffee back down on the table.

"I don't know," I said shrugging, "I'm guessing she's either the daughter or sister of an Alpha in one of the Southern districts?"

"Exactly!" he said, looking rather pleased by my answer. "She was actually the daughter of an Omega in the McInerney pack."