9. I Think He'd Be A Cub

Casper

I watched them laughing together.

Did he not realise he was going to get himself in trouble again?

To look at them you would have thought they were close friends. The way they leaned over to one another when they spoke, and the way they laughed, like they didn't have a care in the world.

I looked at Emily Hartley. There was no doubt that she was beautiful. Especially when she let go of herself like she was now. Her whole body had come alive; her eyes were sparkling, and her smile was beaming.

I felt a stab of jealousy twist like a knife through my chest. He wasn't supposed to be talking to her. I was. He was just staff; I was going to be the next Alpha. I should be making her look like that, not him.

He turned and looked right at me. I quickly relaxed my face muscles from the scowl I was wearing and kept my face neutral. There was no way I was going to let him think he could have this effect on me. I shouldn't be jealous. He was nothing. How could I be jealous when he was so insignificant.

Yet there he was, holding my gaze. As if he were an equal.

I heard my dad laugh a few meters away from me so I quickly looked away. By the time I looked back he was once again in deep conversation with Emily.

Emily. Emily. It was certainly a pretty name. Could I see myself marrying her? There was no reason why not. She was pretty, with a good figure, good manners and lively personality. Who wouldn't want to be with her? She was ideal marriage material.

They both burst out into another round of laughter, and again I felt the knife bury itself further into my heart.

Because I was jealous.

Oh, I was so jealous.

And I needed to face the truth.

Because I wasn't jealous of him.

Oh no.

I was jealous of her.

I walked over to them. I had to stop this, and I had to stop it now.

I saw Emily whisper something to him, then look up to me smiling.

"Hello again," I said smiling at Emily.

The Valet jumped up off his seat and turned to look at me.

With only a quick glance his way I said, "I'll look after Miss Hartley for a while. Go and see if Duncan needs any help."

I turned my back on him then offered Emily my hand. "Would you care to dance?"

Emily smiled back and put her hand in mine. "Lead the way," she said.

I led her on the dance floor and spun her round to face me. As we settled into each other's arms ready to Foxtrot, I stole a quick glance round the room to see if I could see him.

He was still stood, only a few meters from where we were a moment ago, looking right at us. I quickly looked away but not before I saw the frown on his face.

Good. I wanted him to feel what I felt. I wanted him to be jealous too. Even if it was Emily that he wanted.

As we made our way around the dance floor, I kept track on him until he disappeared out of the door. No doubt to go and see Duncan, like I had asked him to do.

Only now did I feel like I should probably make some conversation with Emily.

"So how are you enjoying yourself this evening? I hope you've not had any bother off anyone?"