19. Dead Eyes

Joel

There was a certain tenseness in the air.

And for once it had nothing to do with me.

The first guests had started to arrive and so everyone jumped into action.

As much as I hated washing up, I longed to be there right now. Who'd have thought that I would want to watch my hands shrivel up like prunes while trying to scrub pebble dashed pans?

Was it wrong that I wanted to trade places with those pans? That I wanted someone to scrub me clean and have the mess that was my life be washed down the plug hole?

I could hear Lyla's voice in my ear, telling me not to be so dramatic. But for once in my life, I felt that it was justified. Here I was, serving people who I mainly despised, while watching my mate, the potential love of my life, proclaim his undying love for another wolf. And all the while, knowing that with one touch of his hand, I could stop it all. But also knowing that with one touch of his hand I would ruin everything.

Without realising it, I let out a huge sigh.

"What's up bud?" a voice at my ear said, making me jump round in shock.

Mark sniggered.

"For fuck's sake Mark," I growled quietly so as not to draw any attention.

"Ooo, moody!" he said, before walking away.

As annoying as he could be, I was pleased that Mark was here tonight. He was going to be a waiter. This was his first event in the post after having some intensive training from Duncan.

I suspected it was so he could keep an eye on me.

But I couldn't think about that right now. I just needed to concentrate on doing my job.

I saw Emily arrive, and I went straight over to her.

"Good evening Miss Hartley, may I take your coat?"

"JOEL," she cried in astonishment, pulling me in for a hug.

I remained rigid, not quite sure what was happening. I saw Jeremy literally stop still in shock.

Emily pulled back, and I saw a faint blush appear on her cheeks.

"That was a little over familiar, wasn't it?" she said quietly, leaning in towards me slightly.

I couldn't help but smile.

"Uuummm," I said, while dramatically stroking my chin pretending to consider it. "Maybe just a tad."

Emily started giggling while taking off her coat and handing it to me.

I hooked it over my left arm, while offering her my right arm to lead her through the manor.

I walked her into the lounge, noticing all eyes turning to us as we entered. I sought out Casper and walked her over, releasing her from my arm.

"Your lady, Sir," I said before bowing, and walking away to go and hang her coat up.

I smirked to myself as I left. I was going to be the model Valet tonight, I could feel it. I wasn't going to give them any reason to doubt me. No reason at all to think that I could be the chink in their armour, the flaw in their plan, the wolf in the flock of sheep.

Ok, ok, I was getting a bit carried away, but after days of wallowing in my own self pity, it felt good to feel like I had some kind of power over them.....even if they didn't know it....and never would.