28. An Accident

Duncan

It was 7:20 am and I had already been at work for an hour.

I'd barely slept last night and I knew I'd be lucky if the stress of the day didn't land me in hospital.

Maybe my sister was right. Maybe it was time I retired.

My phone started ringing, and I picked it up quickly.

"Hello?"

"Duncan, is Joel with you?"

It was my sister and she sounded worried.

"No, I've given him today off why?"

"Well, when I went to check on him this morning he wasn't there. He's not been here all night."

"Well, maybe he's at one of his friend's," I said, eyeing the 'to do' list I'd made for myself. I really could do without having this phone call right now.

"He could be, but there was a note on his bed. From Casper."

Suddenly my sister had my full attention. "What did it say?" I asked, as a pit of dread settled in my stomach.

"It asked him to go his room at 8pm last night."

I felt the colour drain out of my face.

"Oh god no!" I said, lowering my head onto the table and banging it lightly.

"Duncan, what's going on? Why is Casper asking to meet Joel?"

I sighed. There was no easy way to say it, and I didn't have time right now.

"I'll call you back later," I said and hung up the phone.

What had the boy gone and done now?

I rushed out of my room and headed towards Casper's.

I would just have to think of an excuse to go in there. There was a good chance that Joel went round last night, they had a conversation and then he left. Maybe I was worrying over nothing.

As I approached the door to his room, I heard voices inside. Raised and angry voices.

I was about to press my ear against the door, when I heard someone stepping towards it from the other side.

I quickly walked down to the end of the corridor and ducked into a supplies cupboard.

I left the door open a crack so I could see who came out of the room.

I heard Casper's door open and close so I peeked through the gap.

Joel was stood in the corridor, hastily getting dressed.

I felt my blood run cold. He had stayed the night? And he had clearly been undressed at some point as well!

I was frozen to the spot, only being shaken out of it when I saw Joel walk quickly away.

I rushed out of the cupboard, closing the door quietly behind me, before hurrying to go and catch up with Joel.

I needed to know what had happened. Had they sealed the bond? And what were they arguing about?

I rounded the corner quickly, then stopped abruptly as I saw a figure in the corner of my vision.

The Alpha was stood in the corridor, his mouth wide open, staring at the door that a half dressed Joel had just run through.

I turned to say something to him. But I didn't know what, then without a word he turned and walked off in the other direction.

I stood rooted to the spot. What should I do? Should I go after Joel to find out what happened, or should I follow the Alpha to see what he would do?