16. His Name is Joel

Casper

I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling. I knew I should be up by now, but I figured that seen as it was my birthday yesterday, my dad would give me a little more time.

I wasn't hungover. Wolves didn't really get hangovers. We did get dehydrated though and I had a slight headache because of it.

I didn't remember all of last night, although I remembered the majority of it. I remembered having fun, which was a nice change. It was probably the first time I had really let my hair down in a very long time.

It was possible I had done a little damage with my fledgling relationship with Emily. I barely talked to her all evening. It wasn't because I didn't like her company, but for one night I just wanted to forget about my responsibilities, and she was just a constant reminder of them.

I hoped she would forgive me. I knew I would have some making up to do. Maybe I could send her a little something as an apology?

Hmm, what would she like? I know what she'd like. She'd like my Cub.....Joel.

JOEL!!

His name is Joel!

"Joel.....Joel......Joel." I played with the sound on my lips.

Yes, it definitely suited him. Although I think I liked 'Cub' better. Somehow knowing his name made him more.....I don't know....real. It made me think about what his life must be like outside of the manor. Does he have any siblings? Who are his friends? What if he has a girlfriend?

The last thought sparked something deep inside. Jealousy? No, surely I wasn't jealous. Afterall, I didn't want him as my boyfriend. It was more like I just didn't want to share him. I felt possessive, like he belonged to me.

A memory flashed through my mind from last night. He gave me a present!

I jumped out of bed and rifled through my pockets trying to find it. I was still wearing my clothes from yesterday, but there was nothing in them.

I thought hard, trying to remember. He gave it to me in a ring box, I remember that much, but I couldn't remember anything about what I did with it.

A coat!! I was wearing a coat!

I ran out of my bedroom and into my lounge and saw the coat lying across my sofa.

I quickly grabbed it and routed through the pockets.

It was there! I felt the relief rush through me. I pulled out the ring box, and chuckled at the thought of him getting down on one knee. Of course he didn't do that, but the thought made me laugh.

I opened the box expecting to see the tiger pin, but the box was empty.

I groaned in frustration as I routed through the pockets of the coat again, in case it had fallen out of its box.

Of course, it wasn't there.

I sat on the sofa with my now pounding head in my hands. I suppose he didn't need to know that I had lost it. It's not like I would be able to wear it without raising a lot of questions.

I sighed and was about to put the box back in the coat pocket, when I realised it wasn't my coat. It was Joel's.

I stared at it. Why did I have a strong urge to bury my nose in it and take a deep breath? That was weird, right? Or maybe it was just a wolf thing? Maybe I just needed to smell the scent that had come into my territory.

Before I could argue any differently, I brought the coat to my face and breathed in deeply through my nose.

The smell was intoxicating. It made my insides tremble with excitement. It made me feel both wide awake and sleepy at the same time. It was exhilarating, but comforting.