7. Out of Control

Casper

The first person I bumped into when I walked into the ballroom was my father. I fought hard not to roll my eyes at my bad luck.

He always seemed to take it personally when I didn't find my mate, and usually took out his frustration on me, like I was some kind of failure.

I braced myself for it.

"So, did you meet her?" he asked with a glint in his eye.

I was momentarily thrown. Did it look like I had found my mate? I held back my sarcastic reply, and instead said, "No, not this time."

My dad frowned briefly but then his face cleared as he said, "No, not your mate, I was talking about Miss Hartley."

"Oh, yes," I said in response, but then immediately grew suspicious at his tone. "Why, what have you got planned Dad?"

"Oh nothing, nothing," he said patting my shoulder lightly.

I knew him better than that. But I also knew it wouldn't be wise to push him either. I'm sure I would find out soon enough.

"Where is she anyway?" my dad asked.

"Oh, I've assigned a member of staff to her seen as her uncle had to leave. I didn't want her going out there alone considering the history and everything."

"Good thinking. Well done," he said before wandering off to talk with his brother.

What was I? A small child? He really knew how to get under my skin.

Still, he seemed happy enough which was a bonus, and now I could go and enjoy my evening. I needed a drink.

I saw a man walking passed in uniform so I waved my arm and shouted, "Hey you!"

He looked round and on seeing me he bowed down low. "May I help you Sir?"

"Yes, I need a drink. Do we have whiskey?"

"Yes Sir, we have a nice single malt?"

"Great. I'll have a double."

"Right away Sir."

And off he went. See? That is how a normal conversation went with the staff. It was so easy and not stressful at all.

So why was it so difficult with..........what's his name. I didn't know his name. It felt odd that I didn't know his name, but that was normal wasn't it? Of course it was normal. I glanced round the room at any members of staff I could see.

Yes, there was the guy with the oddly white hair, the really tall one, the bald one, and the one that was constantly nodding his head like the dog in the Churchill adverts. See, I did know them all, I just didn't know their names.

Perhaps I should come up with a nickname for him.......hmmm.....what type of animal would he be......?

My eyes were suddenly drawn to the back of the ballroom where Emily had entered with my Valet hot on her heels.

Emily sat down and he went off, I presumed to get her a drink.

I suddenly felt a warmth next to me and turned to see my sister Luna leaning towards me.

"So that's her is it? The lethal Miss Hartley?"

"She seems alright actually," I replied, suddenly feeling the urge to defend her.

Luna raised an eyebrow at me. "Oh my goodness, is my little brother in love?"

I stared at her, giving her my best 'back off' look. Luna was a master at winding me up. She was very perceptive and I always maintained that she used her powers for evil instead of good. Meaning that she used them to get on my nerves at every opportunity.