15. A Tiger

Joel

The manor house was busier than I had ever seen it. Duncan had drafted in extra members of staff, and it seemed like they were everywhere.

We were preparing for Casper's 23rd birthday party which was being held here tonight.

"Where should I put these?" Mark asked me. Yes, Mark was one of the extra pairs of hands that had been brought in for tonight. I was grateful to have him around today.

Mark was holding some silver balloons. "Give them to Simon, over there." I pointed.

Simon was halfway up a ladder, cursing at the balloons that wouldn't pin into place on the pillar.

I chuckled to myself, and carried on preparing a huge bowl of punch. And yes, there was plenty of alcohol in it.

I hadn't seen Casper at all today. In fact, I'd barely seen him since the night Miss Hartley came to visit a couple of weeks ago. I shuddered a little at the memory. Luna had not left me alone all evening. I felt like she was a huge cat, and I was her toy mouse that she could bat around at will.

It had all been rather humiliating, and to make it worse, Casper hadn't really spoken to me since. I was guessing that Luna had successfully opened his eyes in reminding him that I was way beneath him, and not worth his attention.

I guess I would find out tonight. I wasn't sure how, but I was determined that tonight I would somehow have a conversation with him, and hopefully figure out if things had changed.

The guests started arriving at 8pm. Duncan told me that Casper had chosen the guests himself, so there were no new females for him to shake hands with tonight.

There were about 100 guests in total, so it wasn't as many as the ball, but the fact that it was more informal, and there was lots of alcohol, meant that the guests would prove to me much more hard work.

Wolves and alcohol didn't really mix well, hence the extra staff.

I was in charge of the punch, and I had been given strict instructions to lessen the amount of alcohol I put in it as the night wore on.

I was stood at my table in the corner of the ballroom, which was now set up more like a club, with loud booming music and multi coloured spotlights in an otherwise dark room.

The noise and lights were starting to give me a headache.

It was about 2 hours into the party when I finally saw him. He was on the dancefloor, his arms round the shoulders of Jamie and another male and they were jumping up and down to the beat of the song.

I'd never seen this side to him before and I found myself unable to take my eyes off him. I was sure it was alcohol that was loosening him up so much, but still, his face was beaming with happiness and it made my stomach do a sort of flip.

He was wearing black jeans and a white short sleeved fitted shirt. He looked amazing. I just wanted to touch him all over, then rip those clothes right off him and....

"There you are!"

I jumped slightly at the sudden exclamation that came from someone right next to me.

"Oh flip, you scared the crap out of me," I said holding my hand to my chest.

Emily giggled.

"Would you like some punch?" I asked while spooning some into a cup for her.

She took it off me with a slight curtsey of thanks then said, "I wasn't really after punch, but never mind. I came to see how you were doing."

"I'm great." I said and put on my best fake smile.