One

Dean Winchester's sword slammed against his opponents, the sound of metal on metal ringing through the air. Everything around him seemed to slow and his movements became sharp and precise. With a flick of his wrist, a sword clattered to the ground. With another quick movement, Dean's opponent, now swordless and flat on his back, chuckled, "Good job, boy." Cain praised him.

Dean blinked, allowing his eyes to turn black, "Don't call me boy, I am not only your prince, but your soon to be king." Dean replied breathing heavily. He had his sword pointed at the older man's throat, his voice was emotionless despite the ragged breathing. Dean was arrogant and cold for his age, only fifteen, but that was how you survived in the demon kingdom. He was to turn sixteen in six months, and soon after he was to be wed and crowned as king. His father, John Winchester, was putting together a ball to find him a fiance, and hopefully one from another kingdom to help the formation of an alliance to tilt the odds of the war.

Dean hung his sword on the wall, he wore black sweat pants, and a black snug fitting t-shirt with the Winchester crest, a red pentagram, on the chest. He was covered in sweat from the hours of training, and the sun was only beginning to rise. He called to his personal servant, Hael, to fetch him a towel. She was small, but beautiful and had brown hair and a fierceness in her that had never died out. A fierceness only angels possessed.

The demon kingdom had declared war on the the angel kingdom when the youngest demon prince, Adam, had been stabbed with an angel blade near the border where the kingdoms drew close. So far attacks had been thrown by both sides, but none of the other kingdoms had become involved. Soldiers had been taken from both sides, and when an angel was captured, they were usually sent to the palace to become servants for the royal family.

John Winchester had ruled the demon kingdom since he was wed to his beloved wife, Mary, when they were sixteen. Mary had died in battle just six months after her second son, Samuel was born. John had been broken when he lost Mary, but he was also furious and ended up destroying the kingdom, leaving nothing but ashes. Years later, John had an affair with a demon named Kate, she was a nurse who had tended to him when he was injured in combat. But she too was killed leaving John to take in young Adam.

  ⤧  

The eldest prince made his way up to his sleeping quarters where he found Hael with a damp towel as he requested. He went to his closet and set out his uniform. He was acting as captain of the royal guard until he was crowned. He received this duty as a test from his father and his advisors to ensure he was ready for the task as king. The job was full of strategy, planning, and teamwork amidst his men, especially in times of war.

He made his way back to his bathing chamber and nodded toward the young angel, a display of respect, a small gesture that might be the most she ever received for her work. He stripped of his training clothes and Hael quickly stepped in and gathered his soaked clothing from the floor before leaving. Dean sat in silence for a moment dreading the upcoming ball, he had no desire for a queen, he wished to rule alone. Though he knew the only way to be crowned was for him to have been wed, and so he would make the odds of their war in his favor, and also create an alliance. There was no rule saying he must love his queen. He wiped himself down with the wet towel and dressed himself before starting to make his way to the training yard.

Dean made his way down the stairs dressed in his guard uniform, which consisted of tall glossy, black riding boots atop black tights, and a black, fitted coat. The stitching along the coat was red, as well as the Winchester crest on the right sleeve and the captain of the guard crest, the angel banishing sigil, on the left sleeve. The angels and demons had been enemies so long, since the first angel war, that the crest had been created. It allowed the demon who brandished it to send any angel back to the center of their kingdom. But only the captain was ever allowed to wield it, as they held much power, a weak demon would turn to ash if it was used.