Twelve

Castiel paced through Dean's quarters nervously, he was waiting for the prince to return. Dean had gone to see Lisa off, and then was whisked away to talk to his father. Castiel had helped the other angels clean up the remnants of the party before making his way to Dean's chamber and waiting for him. It had been an hour or so and Castiel had begun to get restless, he was about to get up and leave when the prince rushed in the door.

The wooden door slammed loudly against the wall as Dean moved forward toward the angel. Castiel took a cautious step back. "Dean, please don't be angry with me! I-" but the prince had Castiel in a warm embrace, he could feel Dean's grin in the crook of his neck. The angel was taken back, it took him a moment to recover before he finally hugged Dean back. "You're not mad?" He asked, not pulling away from the tight hug as the demon prince chuckled in response.

"No Cas, I'm not mad." Dean told the angel and leaned his head away to stare into Castiel's eyes, his whole face seemed to be glowing with happiness. It was an expression Cas had never expected from the cold prince, but it made him smile in the same way. Dean pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead and then to his lips, the two shared a deep kiss for a moment before, "my father wants us to be wed Cas!" The prince's voice raised in pitch when he said this, but Castiel was still in shock and he only stared back, his eyes flickering with worry. "Cas, is something wrong?"

"No no, it's nothing, I'm just surprised! He really gave you his blessing?" He replied, letting a smile greet his lips.

"He was the one who suggested it!" Dean informed him, taking his hands in his own and squeezing them tightly. Castiel had never seen Dean in such an enthusiastic mood, it almost seemed wrong, like something was off. Castiel looked up into the demon prince's eyes, and he knew instantly. Something had to be wrong, was this a trick? Did somebody hurt Dean? Castiel couldn't think of anything.

His thoughts were answered as a knock sounded on the door. It was Sam, the youngest prince. Salty tears poured down his face, burning his cheeks. He was a blubbering mess as he entered the room, snot running from his nose. Dean's attention turned immediately to his brother, "What's wrong Sammy?" Dean looked down at the boy who had wrapped his arms around his brother's legs.

Sam sniffed and choked, trying to get out an audible sentence, "I-It-It's Da-ad." The young boy cried, stuffing his face into Dean's pants and crying. Dean leaned down and picked his younger brother up, holding him close to his chest and murmuring soft words of comfort in his ear.

Castiel watched quietly from his place in the room as Dean calmed Sam down and slowly the younger demon's cries faded into faint sniffles.

"Sammy?" Dean spoke louder this time, but his tone remained soft and extremely gentle as he set his brother down on the four poster bed, "this is angel I was telling you about," Dean turned his attention back to Castiel for a moment, "Cas this my little brother Sam. Sam this is Castiel, my fiance." Sam wiped away a tear away and looked up at Castiel, his eyes wide with shock. The angel froze for a moment, not sure what to say to the young boy, he managed a small smile and took a step forward towards the princes.

"Hello Sam, it's nice to meet you, Dean has told me so much about you." He said softly and crouched down next to the bed. Sam only stared up at him before throwing his arms around the taller male's neck and hugging him tightly. Castiel was taken back for a moment, but he quickly hugged the small demon back tightly and over his shoulder he caught Dean's gaze. He was smiling at them, it was genuine, but Cas could tell he was trying to keep himself together for Sam.

"H-hi Castiel! It's so good to finally meet you! I-I can't believe you're marrying my brother! I'm so happy for you guys, this is awesome!" Sam exclaimed happily and pulled away from the angel to wrap Dean in a warm hug. Cas smiled at the two brothers and watched as the older demon pulled away to kiss his little brother on the forehead.

"Thank you Sam, now how would you like to go help Ramiel plan the wedding. Me and Castiel need to talk in private." Dean explained, standing up and wrapping his arm around his future husband's waist. Sam practically squealed as he nodded excitedly and climbed off the bed to walk towards the door after giving one last hug to the two men. After Sam had closed the door, Castiel turned to look at Dean, his face was expressionless as he met the angel's gaze.

"Dean, are you alright?" Cas questioned softly and grabbed his hand to squeeze it tightly as the demon prince only nodded nonchalantly, "your father- Dean, I'm so sorry, are you sure you're okay?" The prince's expression changed slightly as he gave Castiel a pained look and shook his head. The angel wrapped the demon tight in a hug and kissed the top of his head.

"Cas, he-h-he died. My father is dead, I-I don't know what to do," Cas' eyes widened as Dean stuttered out a reply, his voice sounding broken. He hugged him tighter and rubbed soft circles on his back as the prince started choking back sobs.

"Shh, it's okay Dean, it's okay. Just breathe." He soothed him and and rocked back and forth on his feet as Dean's tears started to wet his shirt.

"H-h-he's gone Cas, I-I don't know what to do, I-I don't know-" Dean managed to get out as Castiel continued to soothe him. He sat the crying man down on the bed and held him tightly against his chest as he continued to cry. Castiel laid soft kisses to Dean's head as he rocked him back and forth slowly, whispering gentle and comforting words in his ear.

⤧  

Dean had fallen asleep in Castiel's arms. The angel had been laying with the demon prince for almost an hour when he finally woke up. Castiel watched as the puffy eyed demon began to stir. He rolled away from the position he was in, curled up closely to Cas, their arms wrapped around each other. He stared up at the ceiling, blinking slowly, letting his eyes adjust to the bright room. His cheeks were burnt from the salt, his hair was a mess, and his green eyes seemed dull.

Castiel's heart broke just looking at the man. He knew Dean had had enough emotional trauma for one day, but he couldn't help but feel as if he was lying to the man. Dean had to know at some point, Castiel couldn't hide who he was forever. He had truly fallen for the demon prince, and he deserved the truth. Castiel couldn't hide from it any longer, "Dean, I- I have to tell you something."