Five

Cas watched as Dean stood in front of the mirror while James finished his outfit for the ball which was only an hour away. It had been a week since they had returned from the border, the King had organized the ball to take place as soon as possible. Most kingdoms had agreed to let their royal families attend the ball. Castiel had overheard the King talking to Dean about a possible suitor in the leviathan royal family, princess Lisa. And although Dean had been quite talkative with Cas recently, he hadn't mentioned anything about an engagement yet.

James finished Dean's suit and stepped away from the prince with a bow. His dark red suit hugged him tightly as he turned in a brief circle in front of the mirror before glancing over at Castiel. "Thoughts Cas?" he inquired and Cas smiled at him as he gave an approving nod, the suit brought out the natural green in the prince's eyes and his face seemed to glow in the room's light.

"You look incredible sir," he noted, making Dean smile broadly and motioned for him to get up as a knock sounded on the dressing room door. Castiel opened it quickly to see Balthazar standing there.

"Castiel, come with me, your services are needed as a main servant for the party," he told him quickly. Cas turned back to the prince who nodded after a moment, as a signal that he could go. He followed Balthazar out of the room and to the ballroom to help with the final decorations before the guests started arriving.

 ⤧    

Dean stepped forward into the ballroom as two guards opened the doors. He saw his father at the opposite end of the room, on his throne. Dean wore his blood red suit with a matching tie, a black button up shirt, and glossy black dress shoes. His hair was styled as it usually was, and he let out his black eyes. He walked around, knowing Cas was in the room somewhere.

As Dean moved through the room people stepped aside before bowing. He walked over to his father, and spun around to view the guests. For the next three hours, he greeted princesses, learned their names and their kingdoms. He talked about possible alliances and benefits of joining kingdoms, and he danced with every single girl. He was trying really hard, he wanted the best outcome for not only himself and his suitor but also his kingdom. There was no threats to be heard, and even if he didn't want to admit it, Dean found himself enjoying the party. After every dance, Dean looked around and locked eyes with Cas before continuing. He wasn't sure why he did this, but not having the angel by his side made Dean fidgety, but luckily every time he looked up Castiel wasn't far.

Finally after hours of talking with girls he didn't care to know personally, he came across his most likely suitor, Princess Lisa of the Leviathans. She wore a black, fitted dress that sparkled as she moved. Her heels clicked elegantly as she walked up to the prince and bowed low. As she rose Dean bowed back before taking and kissing her hand gently.

She led the green eyed boy to the center of the ballroom and she put one of her hands on his shoulder. Dean rested his on her waist, then they linked their free hands and began to sway as the music started up. She truly was beautiful in the way she moved, she made friendly conversations and attempts at flirting.

Dean spun the princess around, he felt as if they fit perfectly in the curves of eachothers bodies... almost. It felt almost perfect, but not quite. Everyone slowed as they danced around the floor in rhythm with the music. Dean spun her to the end of his hand before she twirled back into his arms and he caught her just inches above the ground. She blushed sweetly as he brought her back to a standing position. Both of them were breathing heavily and they bowed to one another, "You must save me another dance, princess." He flashed a lustful grin.

Castiel watched Dean as he finished dancing with another princess, he recognized her as Princess Lisa. They had seemed happy and seemed to relish in each other's company. When he watched them it made Cas feel strange, almost sick like to see the prince dancing with someone else and thoroughly enjoying it. It left a sour taste in his mouth that he couldn't seem to rinse out, it felt wrong to see and a part of Cas knew why, but he wouldn't admit it to himself.

He got up and walked through a few crowds and through the doors of the ballroom, he walked until he found a bench in a side hallway. It was dreadfully silent as he sat there staring up at the ceiling and trying to convince himself there was another reason he was feeling this way. Maybe something he ate or maybe he was just coming down with something. There had to be some other reason besides Castiel actually having romantic feelings for the prince.

The sound of footsteps interrupted his thoughts and had Cas glancing up to see Dean walking towards him, his steps rushed, "Cas? What are you doing out here all by yourself?" he questioned and sat beside him. Castiel didn't reply for a moment, refusing to meet the prince's nervous gaze, "Cas?" Dean repeated.

"Nothing," he muttered, "Just needed a break."

"Cas, talk to me." Dean said, his tone had softened so much that Castiel barely recognized it. He felt a soft hand rest on his shoulder and hesitantly turned his head to meet the prince's worried gaze. As their eyes locked Cas felt the sudden urge to kiss Dean, to press his lips against the prince's own and melt under his embrace. To feel Dean's lips move against his own as his soft scruff under his chin brushed against his own. He wanted to hold onto Dean and forget about it all for a moment. Forget about Lisa, the ball, the war, the angels, the demons, everything. He wanted Dean to tell him that he felt the same way he did and that the two should run away together, like in the fairy tales. That was all Cas wanted, to kiss the prince at least once even if he was rejected afterwards, to let himself relish in the warmth that seemed to radiate off the cold prince.

But Cas didn't kiss the prince, he only broke their stare and stood up. "I don't feel good, I think I caught something from one of the other angels. I should go," was all he said before turning to walk back to his chambers. The prince's hand met his shoulder once more and blocked his path as the soft silence was filled by a barely audible song that was being played in the ballroom. Cas pushed down the words that threatened to spill out of him "What?" he asked the prince, staring blankly to the left.

Dean didn't say anything for several seconds, before sighing softly, "At least let me walk you back to your room?" he asked, but Castiel shook his head.

"I don't want to get you sick, plus you are needed back at the ball. I will see you later prince," he said simply and walked around Dean, quickly making his way down the hall.

"Cas!" Dean called after him desperately, his voice breaking, "just talk to me!" Castiel ignored him and sped his pace until he was almost running. He opened the door to his chambers, rushed inside, and slammed it shut before climbing into his bed and curling up into a tight ball. He unfurled his wings and wrapped them around himself tightly to cover up a pitiful cry as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

Dean stood alone in the hallway, blankly staring after Cas. "Prince Dean!" called out a female voice, and he turned around to see Lisa walking up to him, "why are you out here all alone?" He didn't reply for a moment, casting a sad glance back towards the hallway Cas had run to.

"I just needed a break," he replied sounding more weak than he liked. Lisa took a step closer to him and intertwined their hands.

"The ball is almost over prince, may I have this last dance?" she asked batting her eyelashes at him. Dean took a deep breath in before putting on the most sincere smile he could as he nodded and started leading her back to the ballroom.

They walked into the ballroom, hands clasped together and everyone turned to stare in awe. Dean spoke up first, "I wish to have my last dance with princess Lisa of the leviathans." He then turned and bowed to her before resuming their earlier dance position. They danced beautifully together, everyone stayed silent the entire time and watched the pair. As the dance ended, Dean knelt down on one knee and looked up into Lisa's eyes. "Lisa, will you do me the honor of becoming my bride and my queen?"

The next morning the prince woke early, he sat up in bed, but didn't move. He barely touched the small breakfast one of the angels had brought him. Dean didn't know why he was so upset, he should be happy, he was engaged! He couldn't get his mind off the blue eyed angel and wanted to know what was wrong, but instead of pushing, the prince merely got dressed in some leggings and a loose tunic. en?"

She had tears in her eyes and a smile on her face as she nodded, "Yes, yes of course!" She threw her arms around the prince.