Its the thought that counts, right?

Shuuichi figured that this immediately was a bad idea. But he couldn't help it, he wanted to do something special for Rantarou. Whenever it was Shuuichi's birthday, Rantarou would always bake a cake for him and cook his favorite meals. Shuuichi couldn't keep buying cakes from bakeries, it felt so unfair for Rantarou who's so hard working.

Luckily, Rantarou was at work so Shuuichi could surprise him. He pulled up a recipe that he felt was the easiest. Shuuichi took a deep breath and began to tie an apron around his waist and neck. He began to take out everything that's necessary and started to follow the first steps. "Crack two eggs.." he read out loud. He managed to crack one, feeling pleased with himself. Shuuichi reached for the other but his hand slipped and it ended up dropping and breaking into the floor. He sighed in frustration. "Right when I had it.." he murmured to himself as he reached for a paper towel to clean it up.

However, Shuuichi wasn't going to give up. He continued to follow the recipe to the best of his ability. Shuuichi watched as the electric mixer put together all the ingredients. He continued to repeat all the ingredients, making sure he didn't forget something. The mixer started to go too fast as a little bit of batter went on his cheek. "Eugh.." Shuuichi said to himself as he wiped it off his cheek. Wiping his hand, he closed the machine. He looked over at the oven and back to the recipe.

"Preheat the oven to 250 °"

Shuuichi looked back at the oven.

He forgot to preheat it.

Shuuichi groaned as he began to walk up to the oven and punched in the numbers and the start button. After some waiting, he finally decided to prepare the batter for baking. Not wanting to make another stupid mistake, he kept overlooking the recipe and made sure to butter the pan. He took a deep breath as he nervously pulled down the oven cover. He mostly feared things like cooking and baking because of the heat and fire. Shuuichi rolled up his sleeves and put on oven mitts. He still grabbed a cloth to put the soon-to-be-cake in, he's not taking chances.

Shuuichi awaited for Rantarou to return home. He began to read a novel, he set a timer so he should be fine. He was also able to buy some whipped topping, he didn't want to make even more mess by trying to make his own. Especially since he already washed his own dishes and the counter. He couldn't help but to dislike the sticky pieces of batter residue that was stuck onto the table. How does Rantarou deal with this? Unless Shuuichi is just doing something wrong.

The timer went off and Shuuichi closed the novel and ran up to the oven. The cake seemed fine when he got it out, he didn't even think about checking it. Shuuichi smiled to himself as he looked down at the result, he couldn't wait to see Rantarou's reaction. Shuuichi lifted the sides of the baking pan only to realize something.

The cake is jiggly.

Shuuichi quickly put back the sides of the baking pan. Maybe it'll be fixed with some cooling down, right? Shuuichi felt his smile crack and nervous heat take over his body. He had one job and he probably screwed it up. Maybe he can just put the topping on and forget that happened.

Another mistake. The cake is was too hot and the cream just melted. He really wasn't meant for this, was he? Nonetheless, he kept trying. He really wanted to please Rantarou. After all these years, Rantarou always managed to make pleasant surprises for Shuuichi, he had to pay him back. As Shuuichi struggled to finish the cake off, he heard the click of the door.

Rantarou walked in as he took off his shoes at the mat and shut the door behind him. "I'm home!" He announced as he walked in on the struggling Shuuichi. "Ah.. welcome home.." Shuuichi said sheepishly, trying to divert his attention from his struggle for just a moment. Rantarou smiled when he saw what Shuuichi was doing. "Trying baking for once?" He asked and Shuuichi reluctantly nodded. "I really wanted to pay you back for all of the pleasant things you would make for me. It wasn't fair for me to keep buying store bought cake on your birthday, you deserve better.." Shuuichi said with a soft sigh. "I probably messed it up.." he said with a groan.

He felt Rantarou's hand go on his shoulder. "Don't put yourself down yet, I haven't tried it." He said with a smile. "Now let's take this off." Rantarou said as he began to lift the sides of the cake pan. He noticed how it jiggled. "Ah.. its undercooked.." Rantarou noted and Shuuichi reluctantly nodded. "Hey! Don't be upset, it can be fixed if you put it in for a little longer!" Rantarou said with an encouraging smile. "R-really?" Shuuichi asked with a squeak. "Of course! Baking is very forgiving. I'll help you next time, okay?" Rantarou said and Shuuichi nodded.

"I'm sorry I couldn't provide a good surprise.." Shuuichi murmured as he watched the oven. Rantarou put an arm around Shuuichi. "It's alright, at least you tried. Right?" He said with a smile as he kissed Shuuichi on the forehead. Shuuichi smiled for a moment. "The best gift I have afterall is your heart." Rantarou said. "That's cheesy." Shuuichi said with a small chuckle. Rantarou began to laugh too. "I know." He replied.