Surprise!

"Happy birthday!"

Shuuichi blinked as he opened the door. He was suddenly surrounded by a bunch of familiar faces. They were all smiling and cheering and behind them was a big "IT'S A BOY!" banner but the words were crossed out and had a big "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" written at the top with a red marker. This was probably done as a joke. He should be happy, he should be smiling, but instead, he was just speechless. Absolutely confused. Then, everything started to click.

The past few days, Rantarou was quiet. He didn't say much to Shuuichi at all. However, he was always on the phone, either texting or calling someone. Sometimes he would ask Shuuichi oddly specific questions such as "is there anything you have in mind?" And so on. It confused him at first, especially with how cryptic Rantarou is, but now it started to all make sense. He was clearly the one behind this. He was snapped back to reality when he heard a loud voice.

"What the fuck?! You're just staring off to space! Don't you get it?! We're here to celebrate the day you popped out of ya mama's coochie!" Miu snapped. "Ah! I-I'm sorry..!" Shuuichi replied, startled by Miu's loud profanity. "Aw come on, Saihara-chan~ Don't let that whore put down your spirit. Here, have this~" Kokichi cheered as he practically twirled to Shuuichi's side. He got out a party hat and put it on Shuuichi's head and put a fake flower necklace around his neck. "Uh, thanks?" Shuuichi replied with confusion as Kokichi did his horse laugh and walked away. "Gonta so happy that Saihara came from his mother's coochie!" Gonta chirped, repeating Miu without knowing any better. Immediately, Kirumi tensed up. "Do not repeat her foul words, Gonta." She said almost sternly. "Gonta sorry, Gonta still an idiot..." Gonta replied, looking a little upset. Kirumi gave him a pat on his shoulder to reassure him that he's forgiven.

"Come on, we should move. Let the guy in." Ryoma then said calmly. Everyone agreed and made room so Shuuichi could finally close the door and actually enter inside his home. He had no idea how to react, especially since now Kokichi had given him new accessories that made him feel like he was at a child's birthday party. They're practically adults for crying out loud! Who wears a party hat unironically at their age?!

"Um... thank you guys so much." Shuuichi finally managed to say, trying not to make it awkward. "Of course! It's no problem to greet our friend on his birthday, right everyone?" Kaede cheered. Everyone visibly agreed with her. Shuuichi continued to scan the crowd. A genuine smile went on his face but he was a little worried. He didn't see Rantarou at all. What could he be doing? Kirumi then departed from the crowd. "I have to assist with something for a moment." Was all she had to say. Before Shuuichi could question it, Kaito wrapped his arm around Shuuichi's shoulders.

"So how does it feel to be much older?" Kaito asked light-heartedly. Shuuichi smiled awkwardly. "Well, no different really." He replied. "Hey hey! I'm going to perform a magic spell or two just for you!" Himiko cheered, she almost seemed out of character for a moment. She began performing some tricks, some of them impressing Shuuichi. Everyone clapped and enjoyed her performances. But something was off, everyone kept pulling out something to do before Shuuichi could even think or process. Kokichi even went out to put on a green body suit that covered him head and toe and did some cringy dancing. It was awful. Shuuichi knows very well how endearing his friends are but it's becoming a bit much, a much more than usual.

Tsumugi then clapped her hands. "Look! They're here!" She cheered and everyone turned to Kirumi holding out a rather large cake. Next to her was Rantarou who was holding a bunch of presents. So that's where Rantarou was. Shuuichi covered his mouth. The cake was extravagant, covered in copious amounts of cream, strawberries, and a piece of chocolate that had the words "Happy birthday Shuuichi Saihara! 9.7.18" written on it. Colorful candles surrounded the piece of chocolate. The presents were all wrapped in different colors and were all of different sizes. Each present had a distinct pattern on them, showing that it was an effort everyone took part in.

"No.. you guys didn't have to..." Shuuichi barely squeaked under the safety of his hand. "No! It's only right since it's the day you were born, which deserves a proper celebration!" Kiibo replied with a big smile. "You deserve it, man!" Kaito cheered as he slapped Shuuichi on the back. Maki nodded in agreement, a smile was actually on her face for once. "Now, if Y'all would excuse me, I'm going to get the booze and shit!" Miu chirped but Tenko looked at her sternly. "Tenko doesn't usually like to disagree with a girl but Tenko refuses to let anyone get drunk at this party!" Tenko objected. "Let's worry about alcohol later! There's cake you guys!" Kokichi cheered.

Before any more could be done, Shuuichi was being pushed to the table where everything was set. He could tell that Rantarou and Kirumi went all out. There were other kinds of desserts such as flan and pastries. Everyone stood behind him as they all began to sing. Shuuichi was speechless. Did he deserve such a grand celebration? Did he deserve such great friends? He then heard copious amounts of clapping as everyone finished singing.

"Are you one? Are you two? Are you—" "Ouma-kun, I will rip out your nerves if you keep going." Korekiyo interrupted Kokichi before he could go on a tangent. "Make a wish." Rantarou said warmly as he planted a soft kiss on Shuuichi's cheek. "Nyaha! And make sure it's a good one! Maybe Atua will grant it!" Angie cheered. Shuuichi closed his eyes and smiled to himself as he made a brief wish in his head. He then blew out the candles, gaining more clapping. Everyone then sat down at their respective seats. Each person getting something from the table. Shuuichi turned to Rantarou. "You're behind this, aren't you?" He asked with an amused smile. Rantarou put a finger on his chin before chuckling. "Yeah I am, you got me." He replied nonchalantly.

"Kirumi and I made the refreshments, everyone else chipped in a present as well as planned everything and decorated the place. Though I wish Ouma actually got the right banner. I'm just relieved that Angie managed to somewhat fix it." Rantarou then added as he looked at the banner. The big, bold baby blue letters reading "IT'S A BOY!" were still visible, even under the red marker.

Everyone continued to eat and talk, each person contributed to the conversation happily. It was truly a blissful moment. Then Kaede clapped her hands together. "Saihara-kun! You should read our cards!" She cheered. "Ah, right. Where are they?" Shuuichi replied. They all gathered in the living room as Shuuichi read each card, one by one. Each one brought a smile to his face and sometimes he would receive a hug or a headpat after he read. Though he was awkward with physical affection, he tried his best to return every hug he got.

When he put down the last card, Shuuichi smiled at everyone. "Everyone, thank you really. I'm glad to be friends with you all." He said, warmth coming from the bottom of his heart. "I would especially like to thank Rantarou for throwing this together." He then added. Everyone tried to hold back shock. It was the first time Shuuichi had ever called Rantarou by his first name (well at least in front of everyone) even though they've been together for a while. "Oh no, it's nothing." Rantarou replied as he patted Shuuichi's shoulder.

The party lasted long. Luckily, Miu was just bluffing and didn't actually bring alcohol so it ended up being a tame party. Nonetheless, everyone had fun. As everyone was leaving, Rantarou approached Shuuichi. He gave him a kiss on the forehead. "Happy birthday, Shuuichi." He said with a smile. Shuuichi smiled back. "Thank you so much for this... you really didn't have to..." Shuuichi replied, a small blush on his face as he shied his face away for a moment. Rantarou then hugged him. He didn't do it while he was reading the birthday cards since he wanted this particular one to be special.

Shuuichi awkwardly wrapped his arms around him. "Love you." Rantarou said as he put his cheek on Shuuichi's hair. "I love you too... thank you.." Shuuichi mumbled into his chest.