Understanding you

(A/N: they're friends in this one, whoops)

"And there." Rantarou said with satisfaction as he finished the last coat and put down the smaller hand. His sister, Fumi, was going to withdraw her hands away from the table but Rantarou waved a finger. "Not yet, you have to wait for them to dry." He said with a small laugh. The smaller girl just nodded before she looked up at Rantarou. "T-thank you, big brother.." she said bashfully. "It's no problem, good luck tomorrow." Rantarou said with a smile to his little sister. "Are you going to be there..?" Fumi asked. "Yes, of course, I'll be there to see you." Rantarou replied.

The middle school's drama club was having their play and Fumi so happened to get the female lead's role. She had to wear a long, light pink dress as a result so Rantarou felt it was appropriate to paint her nails a light pink color to match. He even managed to slip on a little flower decal on one of her index fingers to compliment the pattern of her dress. He watched in satisfaction as she peered down at her nails in awe, appreciating her brother's handiwork. "Like them?" Rantarou asked and Fumi slowly nodded, still looking at her nails.

As Fumi was starting to slowly withdraw her hands, she flinched at some sudden noise. Rantarou looked behind him, in hopes to find the source.

"ARGH! I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!" Another one of his sisters, Chiyo, yelled as she slammed her face in her homework. "H-Hey! I-it'll be okay..!" His friend, Shuuichi, said in panic to the younger girl. He looked flustered as he clearly had no idea what to do at this point. He peered over to Rantarou, giving him an apologetic look.

Rantarou could recall when he asked Shuuichi for some help with taking care of his sisters. Normally, Kaede would help him but she wasn't able to due to her needing to practice for a piano recital abroad. He could still remember Shuuichi getting all flustered about the offer and saying that he was no good with children at all and he wasn't even sure if he could provide any actual help. Nonetheless, Rantarou still put some trust in him. Now, Rantarou really wasn't so sure about his decision.

He could still see Shuuichi trying to hastily look over the problems on the homework but Chiyo's hair spilled everywhere, making it hard to make out any of them. Rantarou sighed and got up, heading towards the other table they sat at. He put a hand on his sister's shoulder. "It'll be okay. Saihara is trying to help you, so please listen to him." Rantarou said reassuringly and it worked like magic. Chiyo reluctantly lifted her head. "There we go. Trust me, he's better at this than I am and nicer than any tutor." Rantarou continue to reassure as she moved her eyes to Shuuichi. Shuuichi looked a little awkward as he tried not to take too much of Rantarou's praise. Rantarou then left, leaving the two alone once again.

Rantarou then felt a small impact on his leg. He looked down to see one of the youngest, Aya, looking up at him with teary eyes. "Big broooother! Aira is trying to drown meee!" She exclaimed. Aira immediately dashed to where they are. "It's only going to be a simple bath, I promise!" She tried to reason with the child but Aya only clung closed to Rantarou. Aira sighed. "How do I get her to listen to me..?" She asked.

Rantarou tapped his chin to think of something. Then he bent down to level with Aya. He put a hand on her head. "She's not going to drown you. She's going to make you all clean so you can look pretty." He said calmly. "Then I want big brother to do it!" Aya stubbornly exclaimed. Rantarou awkwardly looked away. "I can't. I'm a boy and you're a girl. It's wrong for a boy to see a girl naked." He explained as straight forward as he could. "I can bathe with my clothes on!" Aya exclaimed. Rantarou couldn't help but to laugh a little. "You won't completely be clean then." He replied. Aya only stubbornly whined. Rantarou thought to himself for a moment until he looked down to speak to Aya again."How about Aira bathes you and I'll blow dry your hair. Sounds good?" He offered. Luckily, Aya took it and went with Aira for the bath. Rantarou let out a sigh in relief.