Chapter 56: The Great Escape

I begin to run forward but I was pulled back by the chains gripping my forearms.

"Caden! Are you okay?"

It was extremely dark but I was able to see his crumpled shadow. I notice how his movements become faster as he realizes that it was me in the cell next to him.

"Slovan, please tell me you're okay." He huffs and does the same as me as he attempts to run as close as he can to my dark figure, which is all he could see.

"I'm fine." I say with a small smile, "Me, Sean, Zeke and his friends were all trying to save you. Of course, I end up getting caught first." I chuckle and he sucks in a breathe.

"Don't you know what you're going up against? You're going against a whole gang! You and a couple friends aren't going to cut it."

"Caden! Just shut up and be grateful." I say sternly and he sighs.

"I'm very grateful." He says softly and I let out another small smile.

"So are we in some sort of prison or something? There is literally a cage surrounding each of us." I say annoyed and he chuckles.

"god, I missed you." He says, "But yes, we are in some sort of jail or prison. I'm assuming Sean told you I was in a gang."

"He did. Any other surprises you want to share with me?"

"Nope, this is the last one, I swear. I might as well explain myself, like as you may already know, leaving a gang is very dangerous but me and a couple of my friends had decided to escape because we obviously didn't want to live a life full of crimes that would end up hurting people. It's honestly been years since I escaped, so it's surprising that these guys still remember what I look like. It was so fast when they abducted me a few days ago, I was literally sipping on a drink at a secluded inn when some guys broke into my room and captured me. Kind of ironic how I ended up getting caught by the North gang while I'm trying to hide from the guys in our own town.

"Damn...Why did you leave anyway? What happened with 'the guys in our own town'?" I ask and I hear him shifting to get comfortable.

"It's stupid."

"Yeah okay and?"

"They were threatening to hurt you. You know that I've hurt a lot of people when I became really popular at our college, so once in a while they drive me out of town with threats against things or people I love. Or sometimes they threaten me about other things that just force me into leaving. So, they found out about you, they wanted to hurt you... and that's why I was so unsure if I could even come back." He says and I sigh.

"You're stupid for uploading pictures of us on Instafam." I say and he laughs, then soon starts choking.

"What can I say? I like to show you off? Okay. I really got to delete that thing." He says and I let out a laugh.

"Now, are you really okay? You were coughing and woke up in what sounded like a lot of pain." I ask and his shackles make more noises as he shifts some more.

"Nothing I can't handle. They just beat me a couple of times. There are a few knife cuts, that hurts like mad, but it's fine. I can move, so we're definitely going to escape this place." He says and I can't help but look down. My eyes start to water.

"Caden." I sob out and he starts shifting nervously.

"Slov? You okay?"

"I don't like knowing you're in pain, or that you were beat. Especially while I was at home with nothing to worry about." I cry a little and hear him breathe out slowly.