Chapter 60: Funeral

It was bright and early in the day when our apartment became a mess.

"Where is my phone?!"

"Did you make sure Aunt Demetri is coming?"

"I cannot find my scarf! Jerry!"

"Babe."

I spin around in my black dress and face Caden. He gives me a sad smile and wraps his arms around me.

"You need to calm down. You'll do great." He kisses my forehead and I lean my head into his chest.

"I need to do him justice." I say and he nods in understanding.

I stayed up almost the whole night to finish up a beautiful speech for Zeke, but it was extremely difficult for me because I kept getting sad or frustrated. Caden tried to stay up with me but I told him it was okay and he finally slept, leaving me alone to my dark thoughts. I ended up finishing the speech, but the ending was just so crappy. Caden is still worried about me but I shake him off.

"It's fine." I let go of him and spin in my dress.

"You look perfect. I hate to say it on such an occasion, but you do. I'm sure Zeke would've agreed." He smiles and I punch his arm.

"Let's get out of here. We're going to be late." I say and we both exit my room.

The first thing we saw was a pregnant Harper running in her long black dress.

"Where the fuck are my keys!" She shouts as she runs back to her room. Jerry follows her into the room with her keys in his hands.

"Let's go!" Harper's mom claps fancily in her old, 80's looking, black dress. She was already waiting in front of the door, ready to leave.

"jesus mom, what are you wearing?" Harper asks with a relieved face as she walks out of her room, keys in hand. Jerry follows her out from behind with a chuckle.

"I think I look fabulous. Now let's go to the boy's funeral! I don't want to be late!" She shouts and we all make our way to the front door.

"I swear this apartment is only meant to fit 3 people." I whisper to Harper as she locks the door. She chuckles at my comment and we all leave for the funeral.

Me and Caden head into my car while the others ride in Harper's car. It took around 15 minutes until we finally arrive to the fully packed church. I notice a lot of people from our college who came out, probably from seeing it on Harper's social media. She's practically friends with everyone at our school.

Me and Caden walk in and I notice the stares we were getting from everyone. I almost forgot that Caden was well known as the school's 'bad boy'. I roll my eyes and Caden wraps his arm around my waist. Harper and her family comes through from behind us and we all head in with our heads held high.

We were the people that knew Zeke best, so this meant a whole lot.

We spot Josy, Alex and George seated at the front row so I grab Caden's hand and pull him over to them. Harper, Jerry and Mrs. Collins follow us but sit in the row behind us as they didn't really know these guys.

"Hey." I greet both Alex and George and they turn their heads. They both give me a big hug. I laugh a little and let them go. I glance at Josy who is still sitting with her head hung low. My hand moves forward as I pat her little head, I can only imagine what she's feeling at the moment.

She looks up and I notice the bags under her eyes, she probably didn't sleep the night before. She looked stressed and tired, it was almost what heartbreak looks like. My heart tugs for her. She looks at me with a small tired smile, as though she had just realized that I was here.