17.

Andrew came back from work and he could already tell that something was off in the house. It rained earlier that day and muddy footprints were visible in the kitchen. Andrew didn't bother to see if anything was stolen. He, instead, made a beeline straight to Neela's bedroom.

The worst thoughts went through his head. Neela's desk was disheveled and many of her belongings were missing. "Neela!" Andrew pulled his pistol out of his holster and started to search around the house. "I am armed," the man announced in case the intruder was still around. "Officer 261 speaking. My daughter is not in bed and a bunch of her belongings are missing. House was broken into, I am now making rounds for any sign of an intruder. I need backup." As he finished his phrase, the first tears fell from his eyes.

Everything in the house was untouched, except Neela's bedroom. Andrew has worked homicide cases, runaway cases, kidnapping cases. He didn't even want to imagine the repulsive things that were going through the perpetrators head. Now, he tried to think that maybe she was going through a rebellion phase. Maybe she went somewhere without telling her father. That's fine, Andrew did the same things when he was Neela's age! But, he knew that his Neela would never do something like that.

Soon enough, cops were lined up the street of Andrew and Neela's home. Andrew was on the porch as forensic specialists combed the house. He was just letting it all sink in. Even though there was no sign of forced entry, they had to think it was from an intruder. The footprints matches none of the shoes Neela or Andrew acquire. "They could've stolen every single expensive thing in that house.." Andrew trailed off, "but instead, they took my fucking daughter." Andrew kept his eyes fixated on a cobweb on the banister. "What kind of father am I?" He was talking to no one at this point. He was just putting himself down.

"Andrew," the deputy came out on the porch. "Before Neela disappeared, did she act any differently than usual? Gave more attitude, kept more to herself?"

Andrew pondered, but shook his head. "No, she was acting completely normal. She was sick for a day or two, then completely fine." Andrew then rested his head in his hands, "I don't know how this could've happened. We're a family that lays low, no one barely knew of Neela until that fucking crash."

The deputy sighed and placed a comforting hand on Andrew's shoulder. The deputy was about to speak again, until an investigator yelled, "we found a note!" Andrew then quickly stood to his feet and ran up the stairs to his bedroom, "it's in that bag over there. Don't touch it, we're gonna get forensics to check for any finger prints."

"Neela has a whole stationery kit in her room, check that too."

~~

Neela slept on the couch and Sean slept on the recliner opposite of her. Before she did go to sleep, she has a violent panic attack and couldn't breathe whatsoever. His conscience told him to stay with her so she could feel at ease.

When Neela woke up, she had her hair covering her face, her arms were also concealing her face. She woke up crying, close to a panic attack. Landon walked into the room after Sean told him to watch over her, as Sean had to go out to check on the 'animal attacks.' She wasn't moving; she was perfectly still. But her heartbeat said otherwise. "Neela, can you please say something? I need to know you're still breathing."

"I don't wanna be here," Neela whined. "I know, I know. Our father is coming today, he wants to meet you. Would you be willing to take a bath and freshen up?"

"I'm too weak to move," Neela whined once again. "Okay, I'll carry you up and while you're in the bath, me or Ryan will make you something to eat, okay?" Neela agreed to his proposal and moved away the hair that was sticking to her face.

Before the two reached the grand staircase, Ryan came downstairs. "Hi, princess." He said gently and moved to Landon's left side, so Neela would be able to see him. But, she just covered her face with her hands, "did you sleep well?" Neela shook her head. "I'm sorry. While father is here, maybe I can give you a tour of the home?" He wasn't asking Neela, he was more or less asking Landon. "We'll see how she's feeling after."

"Of course. While father is here, we can go shopping for clothes together!" Ryan knew that his father would allow him to come along. His father let him bring the girl here, so why not let him be in the same car as her? Neela just heaved a deep sigh.

The two went upstairs not too long after. Landon brought Neela to her room and sat her on her bed. "Neela, this is your bedroom. Isn't it pretty?" Landon knew that she wasn't looking, she was still hiding herself away. He went to her closet and found it completely empty. "Okay, new plan. You're going to wear some of our clothes until we take you shopping. I'll be right back."

Landon ran across the hall and entered Caleb's room without knocking. Caleb scrambled nervously and brought his blanket up to his waist. "Can't you knock?!" Caleb yelled, "no! Neela needs clothes. You can finish this....session later. Father is coming." Landon said while grabbing one of his short sleeved shirts and some sweatpants.

Landon went back over to Neela's bedroom, "okay, Caleb's clothes would probably fit you the most properly. They still may be a bit big, though." Neela nodded, still laying in the same spot Landon left her, "do you need help getting your bath water ready? Or are you okay by yourself?"

"Go," Neela demanded weakly. "Alright, your bathroom is the door on your right. The one on your left is Ryan's room."