6.The Visit

I entered the house and felt ill. I didn't think twice about it and instead I went and found my stepmother.

"You called ma'am?" I asked looking at the ground.

"Is the tea ready yet?" She asked through clenched teeth. I could see she was dying to scold me, but refused to yell at me in front of the duke.

"I shall bring it out in a minute" I said.

"Very well. You may leave. Wait" my stepmother called. I stopped mid turn and faced my stepmother again.

"Who is that behind you?" She asked. I looked behind me and saw Anthony standing there.

"He is a knight that was sent along today. He was meant to protect the prince, but unfortunately he prince fell ill" the duke quickly covered for him.

"Oh my, a knight. It's been ages since I've met one. Why don't you join us?" My stepmother invited him.

"I couldn't possibly do that Countess. After all, today I an simply a hired guard. Instead, I will go and help Cinderella" Anthony said. My eyes widened at this and I made sure to keep my face lowered. My stepmother wouldn't take Anthony turning down the invitation well. The biggest problem was that she would blame me and not him for refusing especially since my name was mentioned in the conversation.

"Excuse me" I murmured and I bolted from the room. I leaned against the wall next to the door and listened to see what would happen. 

"Please join us, I insist. Take a break from your job for once" my stepmother said.

"No I couldn't. I really should go and help with the work while I'm here" Anthony said.

"Very well" my stepmother sighed. For some reason, I found the situation to be funny. The prince actually wanted to join me and work instead of sitting and talking to my stepfamily.

I saw movement by the door and I watched as Anthony exited the room. I pushed away from the wall and for a few seconds, all I could see was darkness. I blinked a few times and started walking towards the kitchen when I could see again. He followed me.

"Hello again" I said as we walked.

"Hello. I didn't think I'd make it out of there for awhile" he commented.

"I'm surprised you did" I agreed. Whenever my stepmother wanted something, she got it. At least in my experience she did.

"Why are you walking so fast?" Anthony asked.

"Am I? This is slow for me. I'm normally running all over the house" I said.

"All over the house? Do you not work in a single area?" Anthony asked.

"You mean do I not spend my time in the kitchen as a cook or the stable as a groom? No I do not. I do various tasks around the house" I answered.

"Really? I'd have thought-" Anthony was cut off by the shrill whistle of the kettle.

"What is that noise?" He exclaimed.

"The kettle of water that I started to boil earlier" I said as I entered the kitchen. I took the kettle off and started to make tea making sure to put it into a nice teapot.

"Where are the other servants?" The prince asked.

"Gone" I said.

"For the day?" He asked. I wamted to tell him about how I was the only servant, but I couldn't. My stepmother wouldn't like it if I did tell him.

"Tea's done" I suddenly announced. With the tea made, I brought out the food I made earlier and put it all onto a large tray.

"Did you make that?" He asked. I replied with a nod and then I picked up the tray.

"Can you get that?" I asked nodding in the direction of the door. He opened it and I went through carrying the heavy tray along.

"The other servants?" He prodded. I was hoping he would have forgotten by now.

"What's it like being prince?" I asked attempting to change the subject.

"Don't think I don't notice that you're trying to change the subject" he said calling me out. He just had to be a smart prince. At the moment I wish he was one of those princes who doesn't recognize a girl after her outfit changes.

"Why would I ever do that?" I asked trying to seem innocent.

He simply stared at me. I let out a sigh. I wasn't going to get out of this conversation.

"There are no other servants" I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked.

"There are no other servants" I repeated in a slightly louder voice.

"A little louder please" he requested.

"There are no other servants!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"That was a bit too loud" he said looking shocked. My stepmother was not going to be happy with me for revealing that I was the only servant. The worst part was that she probably heard me so I couldn't pretend that someone else had told him or that he didn't even know.

"I agree" I said as I stumbled and nearly dropped the tray. Anthony caught it before it fell and took it from me. We kept walking and he carried the tray looking at me with a worried expression.

"If there are no other servants, then how does this house stay so clean?" He asked.

"I have to clean the whole house by myself" I said.

"Aren't there laws against overworking a servant?" Anthony exclaimed. I shrugged. I had no idea if there were laws against it. Besides, I wasn't even a servant. I was a stepdaughter forced to do chores at my stepmother's house.

"How did you even get it all clean?" He asked.

"Normally I don't have to clean the whole house each day, so it's easier to manage. For your visit though, I was asked to clean the whole house and it wasn't an easy task" I said. Darkness was starting to overcome my vision. When was the last time I had slept? When was the last time I had ate? I wouldn't be able to hold it together till the end of their visit.

"Anthony?" I asked.

"Ella?" He replied his voice filled with concern as the tray fell out of his hands, crashing to the ground, and destroying everything on it.

"Sorry" I said and I let the darkness overcome me. I felt myself falling to the ground. Before I hit the ground, I was caught by someone. I felt myself being lifted up and carried. Then I was surrounded by the dark.

Author's Note
Hey everyone. So I haven't written an author's note for the last two chapters and there's a good reason for that. Ready? It's because I'm lazy. Anyways, some people *cough* retro_wonderwoman *cough*, may take what I write next the wrong way. I want to stop writing this story 'cause I don't like it anymore. At least that's what I was going to do. Then I realized that if someone ever reads this, they may want to know how the story ends. So, the rest of this story is dedicated to the person who wants to finish this story. The person who clicks on this story and needs to know the ending. Whoever you are, I'm writing the rest of this story for you. Well, I've rambled for way too long. Please vote and comment. Till next chapter.
-Panda12Panda12
P.S. I almost forgot to mention pandas