13.Hope

It was just before midnight when I finished the final chore on the list. I hadn't eaten, even when I didn't spill a tray, or stopped for even a minute. It worth it. In just a few minutes, I would see him again. I grabbed a sandwich that I should have eaten for lunch and quietly slipped out the door. As soon as I was outside and the door was safely shut behind me, I took off running. I sprinted down the path and instead of cautiously walking along the off path trail, I barged through, letting branches hit me as I sprinted along. I reached the waterfall just as the clock struck midnight. Anthony wasn't there. I sat down to eat and waited for him to appear.

I had been waiting for a long time. He still hadn't come. He should have been here long ago. I tried to tell myself that he forgot we were supposed to meet here or he had gotten lost along the way. I continued to wait. I didn't want to leave. I just wanted to see his face. In the distance, I heard the clock strike one. I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

I had been right when I previously decided that a soon to be king was too busy to care about a servant like me. Why would he come, when he had better things to do. Why would he come, when I was just a random girl? Why would he come? He had no reason to come and he must have finally figured that out. 

I felt my tears stream down my face and my loud sobs were the only sound to be heard, except for the rushing waterfall. Even then, my cries were louder then the roar of the waterfall.

He wouldn't come. I knew that, but still I sat and cried. I didn't get up and go home. I couldn't make myself move. My sobbing slowly stopped. The waterfall became the loudest sound once again. Still, he didn't come.

I heard the clock strike two. I needed to sleep. I already knew that my stepmother would have a long list of chores prepared for me. I just didn't want to give up on the small amount of hope inside of me. Hope that someone would care about me. That someone would care enough to come.

He still hadn't come. I still sat there. The clock struck three and he still hadn't come. All I did was stare at the space beside the waterfall, hoping that if I stared long enough he would appear. He never appeared. He wouldn't come. I knew it, but I couldn't accept it. I wouldn't accept it. I absolutely refused to accept it. I wanted to cling to the small amount of hope inside me.

He wasn't coming. The clock struck five and the sun was starting to rise. Birds were singing their cheerful tune and I wanted to murder them. I had to go back soon. He had never come. I had been foolish to hope that he would come. Foolish to believe in him. Foolish to dream once more. I had long ago learned that dreams never came true and were always crushed into tiny little pieces. Yet, I had stupidly allowed myself to dream, to hope, to wish, to believe.

The world was made to crush people like me and I had been destroyed long ago. He had brought me back from the dead. His kindness had brought me back. His cruelty had crushed me once again. He had brought me back just to kill me all over again. Except this time, the pain was far worse.

With morning came my death. This morning, I would mourn the death of the girl he had brought back. The morning was made for mourning. I wouldn't even have time to cry. I would have so much work. For once, I was grateful that my stepmother made me work so hard. If I worked, I wouldn't be able to think. If I couldn't think, I couldn't be sad. Not being sad sounded wonderful at the moment. I had already wasted a night on someone who didn't deserve it. I wouldn't waste anymore tears on him.

I stood up and got ready to head back to my stepmother's home. Just as I stood, he appeared. I stumbled and fell down in shock. A night without rest normally didn't cause me to hallucinate, but that was the only explanation for what I had seen.

"Are you okay?" A voice filled with concern asked. I was still lying on my back and wondering who was talking to me.

"Yes. Thank you for asking even though you don't know me" I said to the unknown voice.

"Cinderella, it's me" the voice said.

"Hello, me. It's so odd that you know my name" I said.

"Cinderella, it's Anthony" he said. With that, I sat up and looked at him. He was really here. I started crying. He had come after all.

"Please don't cry. I'm sorry I didn't come. I meant to, but I fell asleep on accident" he apologized.

He brought the girl back from the dead, only to kill her, and then bring her back once more. I had promised not to shed anymore tears, but he had come after all. I finally stopped crying and when I did, I glared at him.

"I'm so mad at you. I've been waiting here all night and I haven't gotten any sleep. I hate you right now" I crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm sorry" he said hanging his head in shame.

"I'm not sure I forgive you" I said looking at him through narrowed eyes. He looked so sad and I did believe in second chances.

"Fine. I forgive you" I said with a small sigh.

"Thank you. I won't let you regret it" he said.

"I'd better not regret it. I'll see you here tonight at midnight. If you're even a minute late, I won't forgive you" I said.

"I'll be here on time" he said.

"Now I must go. I have to start working" I said.

"Goodbye, Cinderella" he said.

"Goodbye, Anthony" I replied and then I started towards my stepmother's house.

Author's Note

Hey everyone! Just as a special celebration of the hundred views I now have, I finished two chapters. Hope you enjoyed both of them. Second chances, they're a pretty big thing. Like retro_wonderwoman she's given me a second chance by not murdering me...yet. I've given her a second chance by not murdering her...yet. I'm sure you guys have given me second chances by continuing to read this story even if it's weird at times. On that note, please vote and comment. If you hate this story, give it a second chance and keep reading.

-Panda12Panda12
P.S. Pandas will never need a second chance with me. I will always love them!