five.

MISSING.

___

[note: mandarin & flashbacks are in italics.]

     a week later.

     THIRD PERSON.

minsoo led everyone upstairs who had handfuls of luggage and belongings.

"this is the second floor, which is where all the bedrooms are. each room has a bathroom and a walk-in closet. you guys can decide who has what... if you need me or something, my room is the last one to the right. feel free to make yourself at home." she told the boys who were looking around as if they were in another country.

"you don't live with anyone besides your dad? how about your mom or any siblings?" johnny questioned.

minsoo answered after a moment, "i'm an only child. and my mom is... not living with us anymore."

she nodded, at first to herself and then the tall boy. "ah, i see." he replied.

everyone was left to do their own things, settling in their designated rooms. it was decided that kun, sicheng, and lucas were all roomates, jungwoo was with doyoung, ten with taeyong, jaehyun with yuta, mark with johnny, and taeil had his own room.

they all unpacked and made themselves at home, just like what minsoo ordered.

"hey, did you realize that what the chairman said in the car the other week and what minsoo said at the cafe were the complete opposite?" lucas conversed with kun and sicheng in mandarin.

"yeah, it doesn't make sense." kun agreed. sicheng was busy thinking and recalling what they had said.

ℳℳℳ

   two weeks ago.

the chairman and nct were inside of their very spacious van on the way to the boys' house after the meeting.

"i'd like to discuss some other things with you boys." the boss began.

"is it about the assignment, sir?" taeyong asked. not that anything was wrong, but his clan mentally prepared themselves for a lecture.

"no, it's about minsoo."

the boys stiffened at the name and were focused on what daejung was going to say. was something wrong with her? was she okay? would he tell them to stay away from her at all times?

"she's not a very easy person to be around, do not take it personally. minsoo has always been a serious child, but it got worse when it just became us two in our family. she has quite a difficult time voicing out what she feels or thinks because she never has anyone to be with which causes her to keep almost everything to herself.

however, she's a very smart girl, one that just barely had any guidance on what was wrong and right. minsoo always says things as it is and she takes time to mentally chooses on what she acts upon. she has been having a hard time up until now, and i wanted to tell you all so you can understand why she acts the way she does."

the associates of the chairman took sometime processing his words. why did it feel as if these instructions were the hardest to comprehend?

"i know a lot about her, don't i?" the man tried to ease the still atmosphere inside the car with a joke and the younger boys laughed a little.

"thank you for telling us, mr. ji. we'll make sure to understand and consider your words well." mark said. his older brothers nodded and agreed after him.

"good, thank you as well. please take care of her, she needs more people in her life."

ℳℳℳ

   ~ a few days after.

"since you all expressed your worries, i think it's my turn to let you know some things about me."

"about you? yeah, go for it!" mark smiled. minsoo looked at each face sitting at the coffee table, then continued.

"just a few things. one, i never leave my room." she earned some laughter. taeil and doyoung were teased for being the same way.

"kidding, but it's kinda true. the housemaids and butlers sometimes panic when they don't see me around.

anyways, i know your job is to look out me for who knows how long but there's not a lot of need for worry. i'm currently not getting myself into trouble and i plan to keep it that way. not that i'm saying you guys will cause any for me.

i've always done just fine, so i don't want any of you to worry so much. and i'm usually comfortable with most things so you don't have to be scared or awkward with me.

and... the last thing i want is for you letting the thought of my dad interfere with our living conditions and friendships."

deja vu seemed to be happening and the boys silently stole glances at another in confusion. they didn't want minsoo to know about the conversation they had with her father.

they decided to hear her out and accept her requests.

"yeah... of course. thank you for telling us." ten managed to make out some words.

minsoo nodded and was grateful for their understanding.

"thanks. i like to keep things real, i'd appreciate it for you guys to as well."

ℳℳℳ

     present.

sicheng snapped out of his thoughts and responded to the others who were skeptical about what had happened.

"i guess we'll just have to see what kind of person she really is for ourselves."

ℳℳℳ

edited.