Chapter 31: Conflicted Feelings

Pichu walked along the bushes, all alone. She needed to solve this puzzle, this maze. She looked up. It was the middle of the night now. She avoided the glare of the moon and found what she was looking for: the blooberry vine. It was a little shadow above the glowing moon, but it was enough. Pichu headed in that direction, hoping that she was going the right way.

Pichu turned a corner. She knew she was going the right way. A smile grew on her face as she dashed to the shadow, only to meet a dead end. She stopped herself before she could bang into the bushes. She sighed and turned back, retracing her steps. Her footsteps echoed as it tapped against the stone. She tried again and again, but found nothing and nobody. Hours had passed and it seemed hopeless. The sun was rising above her. Pichu sat down, resting her aching body.

Pichu swung her pokeball bag onto her lap. She unzipped it and looked inside. There, many pokeballs filled it, used ones and empty ones. She took out a pokeball. It was generic, like the rest of them, but if you looked close enough, you would realize that it was brighter than the other ones and more vivid. It was Pichu's first pokemon.

[Listen while reading scene]

Pichu pressed the button and released the pokemon. It a flash of light, a pichu stood before her. It was the same pichu that Cor had given her all those years ago (actually it was only about 1 year but this sounds more dramatic). It was the same pichu that Pichu used to battle evil Raichu at the beginning of the school year. It was the same pichu that Pichu used to defeat Lugia. Her pichu would stand by her side no matter what. It was a reminder of her past. But a symbol of her future.

"What should I do, pichu?" Pichu sighed, asking the cute pokemon.

"Pichu, pichu pichu? Pichu pichu pichu?" pichu asked. (TRANSLATION: What are you talking about? Getting through the maze?) Sidenote: Pichu likes pretending she understands her pichu. She can't REALLY understand it.

"No, it's just," Pichu sucked in a breath, "it's just that there's this guy named Ash. He wants to capture all the legendaries. He already captured a lot of them; Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos to name a few." Pichu couldn't bring herself to say Lugia's name.

"Pichu, pichu pichu pichu," pichu stated. (Well, he doesn't sound very nice to me.)

"I know..." Pichu trailed off, "but I feel like I... I'm overwhelmed by all this responsibility. I don't want it. I don't want to be leader. I don't want to be heir. And by joining Ash... I could finally be free."

"Pichu pichu pichu pichu pichu?" (Why will joining Ash make you free?)

"He said... He said that if I join him, I could finally be free of this responsibility. To be free from everyone. Ever since I lost my dad, nothing has been the same. Before, my dad, my mom, and my brother used to live together in one happy family." Pichu sniffled, a tear rolling down her cheek, "Now my mom has been overwhelmed with work, Raichu's busy flirting with Shell, and now I... I've become the heir to Team Protego." A waterfall of tears came now, "I never wanted to be the heir. All I wanted was a normal childhood. To grow up happily with both my parents. Now with everyone so busy, I'm all alone. Usually, I have my mom or my dad or even Raichu by my side to comfort me. To help me. But now, no one seems to understand me."

"Pichu pichu pichu pichu pichu pichu pichu." (Just because they don't understand you doesn't mean they don't love you.)

"I know, pichu. I love them too. But I don't know what to do. I need help. But no one is there for me anymore." Pichu covered her face, which was streaked with bitter tears. "It seems like the only way I can get out of this mess is if I joined Ash." Pichu paused, but her pokemon said nothing. "I just wish I knew what to do, but I don't. Good and evil, right and wrong... they're all just words. Words can only go so far, and nothing can describe how I feel. I can't tell the difference between them anymore."

"Pichu pichu pichu. Pichu pichu pichu pichu. Pichu pichu." (Your team needs you. You're the heir to Protego. You are their hero.)

Pichu looked at pichu. Her face was flushed hot with only tears to cool. Her eyes seemed to weighed down by a strain unfit for a child.

"I'm just one kid." Pichu and pichu sat in silence.

Pichu whispered, her voice barely audible, "Dad would know what to say. He always knew what to say." 

"