Chapter 39: The Bolt of Lightning

"It's over!" Quinci cried becoming conscious again, as she lay on the earth, staring at Ash from below, "You've lost! Give up!"

Ash glared at her, but the evidence was plain. Though Quinci had fallen, the other friends had emerged victorious. Moltres lay in her ashes, flames barely burning. Articuno was strewn across rocks, feathers of ice no longer cold.

The sun began to set, casting golden light down through the lake. The orange and reds illuminated their faces, except for Ash's, which were hidden in bitter shadows. The sunlight cut through the evil and shone on all that was true.

"No... I haven't lost yet." Ash looked at Quinci, and the sun touched his face. It was rough and spiteful, having suffered defeat. But the light touched the truth, and it was true that malicious hope still glinted in his eyes.

But what was it? The hope that he still grasped?

Like a switch, it came to Quinci in a flash.

"No--!" she yelled, but Ash was too quick. He signaled toward Zapdos. The bird of lightning widened his eyes, but he still abided his master's command.

Zapdos summoned the power of lightning and thunder of the storm. With this power, this legendary power, he focused it in a single bolt. A single entity, yet one that consisted of the power of a million combined.

He released this, letting it fly.

It cut through the air, charging the wind around it. It flew towards Shelly and Raichu, but the target was only of the first.

"No!" Raichu screamed, and he ran in front of Shell, attempting to catch the electricity in his own hands, taking the blow for himself.

But he was too short and the lightning flew over his head hitting Shelly square in the chest.

She crumpled to the ground. Electricity engulfed her body, her entire entity a bright star in the middle of the darkness. Each bolt of lightning seemed to rip her limbs, each spark, though small, stung like a blade dipped in the molten sun. Her hair shook jerkily, and her eyes were wide open in pain. Her fingers were rigid as the lightning shocked her nerves.

The lightning died, though arcs of electricity still jumped from limb to limb. Her entire body was enveloped in a mist of smoke. Raichu ran to her, falling to his knees as he desperately tried to help. She was still breathing-- maybe there was a chance!

"Come on Shell... come on... you can't just..." Raichu shut his eyes, tears forming. Shell smiled, though painfully. Her face was illuminated by moonlight, highlighting her glistening eyes. The night is always the end of the day.

"I wish I had done more in this world," she murmured. "I wish that I could tell my family sorry. Can you tell them that? That I am... was... sorry?"

"Y-yes..." Raichu said, and he took Shelly's hand and held it. It was cold and limp, retaining only a wisp of life. He said, "Shelly... before you go... can you answer one last question?"

"As a Mystic it's my duty to spread knowledge." Shell whispered solemnly, "So, one last question."

"Did... you ever love me?" Raichu asked. Please please please, Raichu thought, his heart beating fast, as Shell's beat slower, I have to know... I have to know the truth.

Shell paused, before sadly whispering. "Yes..."

"Really?" Raichu asked hope shining in his eyes.

Shelly broke into one last smile, bright as the crescent moon, "IN YOUR DREAMS!"

Her eyes caught a brilliant final glint of joy, before they faded, blue becoming blank. Quiet as snow.

"OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!" Ravisu, Rudia, and Bell cried in the background. 

Quinci joined in, "What an epic way to die!"

"BEST REK EVER!" Rudia yelled, the master of reks. 

Raichu could barely think of a comeback, before the water of the oasis came crashing down.