Friends

Draco didn't bother to say good morning to you as he left the breakfast hall for potions class. Since you had been sorted Griffyndor he figured that everyone had turned you against him by now. He cringed at what stories you must have heard about him up in Gryffindor tower last night. He hurried his pace as if he wanted to leave the thought behind him in the corridor. He really liked you too. If only you had been put in Slytherin.

The first day of the new year wasn't usually very interesting to Draco. He was popular at Hogwarts and already knew everyone who was worth knowing, which was only a handful of students. The rest were at best: uninteresting. At worst: Weasleys. A transfer student at Hogwarts was very unusual. Draco had never heard of anyone transferring in before.

As he exited the clamor of the breakfast hall into the cool silence of the corridor, he thought back to when he had met you in Diagon Alley. You'd asked him for help in the book store, and you weren't shy about introducing yourself which impressed him. You told him that you were a transfer student from Ilvermorny. Draco, making polite conversation, asked you what house you hoped to be sorted in and you had said "I guess it's not up to me... but green is my favorite color."

"So you'll be joining us in Slytherin then?" He had asked.

"Oh, is that your house?" You responded.

"Yes, I've just been made prefect of Slytherin house and I'm the best seeker the Slytherin Quidditch team has ever seen." Draco boasted. He wanted to impress you.

You smiled at him but didn't get a chance to respond. 

His father had interrupted the conversation by placing his hand on Draco's shoulder. He reminded him that they had lunch reservations with his mother, and she was not a patient woman.

You had  even been bold enough to introduce yourself to his father. "Sorry, I didn't mean to keep you from anything." You said to him. "It was a pleasure meeting you both. My name is (Y/N) (L/N) by the way." You said to Lucius Malfoy.

Draco's father's eyes softened a bit in recognition."Ah," He said. "I know your family. My wife, was a friend of your mother's in school."

"Really?" You responded.

"Yes, though I didn't know her well, she was a great friend to Narcissa. My condolences miss (L/N). Narcissa will be pleased to hear that you've transferred to Hogwarts. Perhaps the two of you could get together for tea sometime. We really must be going now. Enjoy your time at Hogwarts, if you need anything, Draco would be happy to help you."

You were a hot topic at lunch that afternoon. Draco asked his parents many questions about you. Were you from a pure blooded family? Did he say that your mother had died? What happened? Why had his mother never mentioned you before?

His father became suddenly very stern, "It's impolite to pry Draco. You're not to pester that young lady about her family history am I clear?"

"Yes father." He responded, but he couldn't stop thinking about you. He felt drawn to your soft-spoken yet self-assured voice, and there was no denying that you were a beautiful girl. He wondered so much about you and where you came from. You said you were a transfer from Ilvermorny. He had never met an American girl before. He suddenly felt very sheltered, and like he knew very little of anything outside of the Wizarding Community of Great Britain, and that you were someone who must be endlessly fascinating and worldly.

It was unusual to have students transfer in to Hogwarts. You liked Ilvermorny but disliked America, the place your father had brought your mother to, disconnecting her from her parents, her friends, and anyone who may have been able to help you after her passing. When you decided to transfer to Hogwarts you were hoping to somehow regain those connections, grow closer with your mother, and learn more about who she was.