The Cup

You had bought tickets to The Quidditch World Cup on a whim. It seemed to be all anyone was talking about and it only seemed right that you go and root for Ireland. You had never been to a sporting event this large and you were dazzled by the stadium that had been erected in the once empty field. Animated streamers and sparks flew through the air, green and red to represent each team and wizards entered the venue with outrageous dancing hats and bright face paint.

Cedric, Hermione, Harry, Ron and his brothers called over to you as you entered the stadium.

"Hey guys!" You called, "How's your summer?" You grinned at everyone, even Ron, who never met you with anything other than a scowl.

When you greeted Cedric, he leaned in and kissed your cheek.

"You look lovely." He said.

Hermione was absolutely gawking and you felt horribly embarrassed. You muttered a thank you and took a step away from him.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom." You lied so you wouldn't have to enter the stadium with Cedric. "I'll catch up with you guys later. Hermione, will you save me a seat?"

"Sure." She said looking between you and Cedric suspiciously. The Weasleys were in a hurry to get inside so they ushered her off.

"So you're going with Diggory now? And all this time I thought you had standards."

The hair stood up on the back of your neck and your shoulders tightened at the sound of Draco's voice. You bit your lip and turned on your heel to face him.

"What do you care?" You spat back. "I haven't heard a peep from you in months! You made me think that—" you stammered, unsure if you should admit it. "I thought you had feelings for me but I should have known that you were just leading me on." You turned your face away so he wouldn't see how much he had hurt you. "So if you wanted to make me feel stupid then congratulations." You glared at Draco and he narrowed his eyes at you.

"Well if you've got nothing to say for yourself, I'll be taking my seat."

Draco scoffed, "And I'll be taking my seat with the minister of magic."

"Have fun. I'll be with my friends." You set your shoulders back and walked with as much confidence as you could muster towards the stands.

You spotted Hermione high in the stands waving for you to come and join her and then you saw Cedric who was sitting in the seat next to the one Hermione had saved for you. You met Hermione's eyes, bit your lip, and turned and ran for the women's restroom.

You splashed cold water on your face to keep the tears at bay, your chin quivered, your eyes watered. Draco hated you and you were humiliated.

"Y/N," Hermione touched your shoulder lightly, "What's happened?"

You turned to Hermione and burst in to tears. "Draco!" you sobbed in to her shoulder. "He led me on. I was too embarrassed to tell you."

"Oh, dear." She whispered and rubbed your back "I had no idea."

"And I don't want to date Cedric Diggory!" You wailed.

Hermione laughed, "Well, that I knew." She patted your back. "You don't have to go with Cedric, don't worry."

You composed yourself and dapped at your eyes with a damp towel. "Can you tell that I've been crying?" You sniffed

"Oh no. No one will know." She smiled at you and took your arm. "and don't worry, I'll keep Cedric away from you."