Flying Lessons

It took Draco three days to work up to offering you flying lessons. You didn't seem to want to talk about the Quidditch match on Saturday, so he had trouble bringing up flying in your conversations naturally. On Wednesday morning he came in to class prepared to outright ask you.

"Would you like flying lessons?" He said as he took his seat next to you.

"Oh," you looked up, "yeah sure. From you?"

"yes," Draco was offended that you would even ask this question. "Unless you'd prefer Potter as a teacher, in which case I'll be sure to visit you in the hospital wing afterwards."

"No, please." you said. "I'd love lessons. Thanks."

"Good then. How about Saturday?" He said "it will have to be in the morning, before the Quidditch match."
"Oh sure!" you said and the matter was settled.

Draco had reserved the school broomstick that same afternoon at lunchtime. When he reserved the broomstick, he checked all the school's available brooms and selected the best one for you to use. Draco was very meticulous about selecting a broom. All of the school brooms were rubbish of course, but they would have to do. Once Draco had selected the best broom from the bunch, he polished it, checked that it was level, and placed it gently back in its designated locker and marked the broom as reserved for use on Saturday morning.

Draco arrived on the field early Saturday morning. When he went to the log to sign out the broom he was surprised to see that someone had checked it out the previous evening. Broomsticks were so rarely checked outside of Madame Hooch's flying lessons. Draco brushed this off easily, it was, after all, the nicest broom the school owned. He had made sure of this himself.

"Good morning." He called to you as you crossed the dewy grass of the Quidditch field. He noticed immediately that you were wearing his Quidditch sweatshirt. He liked the way it made you look so small. You had cuffed the sleeves to keep them from falling over your hands. He also liked the way you had tied your hair back in a ponytail with a few wispy curls framing your face.

"I like your sweatshirt." He said when you reached him in the center of the field.

"Thanks. I'm thinking about trying out for the team." You responded.

"Then let's get started" said Draco

Draco gave you a short demonstration on his own broomstick. Summoning the broom, mounting it, and rising in the air. Then he flew twenty feet in the air, circled you, and demonstrated a gentle landing. "It's not hard really." He said. Now summon your broom like I showed you.

You held your hand over the broom and said "UP!" The broom hit your hand hard.

"Okay" said Draco, "Next time a little softer but you're doing well."

Then Draco suggested that you try mounting the broom. He could tell that you were nervous. He helped you to place your hands in the right position on the broomstick and held you steady. "It's pretty intuitive." Said Draco, "why don't you try to hover for a moment and get your balance. Okay?"

"Okay." you said. You were trying not to look nervous. you hovered on the broomstick, hands shaking as the broom tipped forward and backward.

Draco grabbed the broom and balanced you. "It takes a lot of core strength. Are you okay?"

"Yeah it's alright" you lied. You couldn't have been higher than 3 feet off the ground but you were shaking anyway.

Draco let go of the broomstick and the broom continued to teeter underneath you but you felt relatively stable.

"Okay" Draco laughed a bit, "now when you feel ready, try to rise a few feet, like I showed you."

You took a few deep breaths and tried to raise the broomstick just a few inches in the air, but you shot up at least 15 feet and you let out a cry of surprise and fear.

"You're okay!" Said draco "just bring the broom down gently, just like I showed you!" He called to you.

You tried to remember what Draco had shown you just half an hour ago but the broomstick was tremoring violently and you felt your mind go blank. You completely lost control of the broom. It jerked you up and down and spun out of control. Draco yelled up at you to keep calm and grip the broomstick with both hands. That was all you could do at the moment to keep from being flung from the broom.

The broomstick raised higher and And barreled outside the walls of the quidditch field. You jerked the broomstick and tried to bring it back to the ground but it was no use. The broomstick spun you around and then jerked wildly to the left straight towards the whomping willow.

As your broomstick hurtled towards the willow you weren't sure if you should continue trying to regain your control or simply drop the 40 feet from your broom and risk the fall. But you missed your chance to make that decision and the whomping willow struck you and you landed with a sickening thud onto the grass about twenty meters away from the tree base.

You dry heaved onto the grass and pulled yourself another few meters away before lying down on your back. Your vision was clouded from the severe pain in your head and your ears were ringing. You closed your eyes and focused only on your own breathing. The ringing in your ears was so forceful that you could hear nothing else. You felt the whole world spinning beneath you and you could do nothing but lie there.