Bound

A/N: The premise for these next two chapters was lovingly stolen from Jem Carstair's short titled "We Don't Have to Dance"  I'd highly recommend their work!

The year was dragging on, and as the weather grew nicer and nicer, you had less patience for your classes. You paid very little attention in your classes. Even in potions, which was your favorite subject, you found yourself going off-book and experimenting with the ingredients, much to Draco's annoyance. You were antsy in the library too and often forced Draco outside with you in the afternoons. You suspected he only pretended to dislike this. Following this, you spent your evenings mostly hanging around Gryffindor common room. The American party you threw with the Weasley twins had made you much more popular among the Gryffindors, excluding Ron Weasley, who still always looked at you like he'd just eaten something bitter.

You slumped in the back of Divinations one evening, only two weeks from the end of the semester. You held a half-hearted conversation with Luna Lovegood who was telling you about nargles again. You often regretted picking the seat next to Luna Lovegood at the beginning of the year. She took divinations far too seriously for your taste and it tended to bring out her more fanciful side. You nodded along with what she was saying, stealing glances at Draco in the far corner, swirling some tea leaves. He met your eyes and sneered at you. This never failed to make you laugh and his face turned in to a smile.

Professor Trelawney entered the room, dimming the lights for dramatic effect. Her eyes, magnified by her enormous glasses, showed tremendous excitement as she announced your final project of the year.

"A new assignment." She was trembling a Chihuahua. "You will be bound to one of your classmates for a full 48 hours." She clasped her hands together to demonstrate the bind, "In order to fully connect and read their auras. You can do this any way you please. At the end of next week, you will turn in a full report, outlining what you learned about your partner. You can utilize palm reading techniques, examine their star chart, or any number of techniques we studied this year, it must however, be highly detailed as your final report will account for 30% of your grade."

"Professor! Will students be paired with housemates of the same gender?" Parvati called from her seat next to lavender.

"Oh no dear, no no. Divinations transcends any gender, sexual, or social construct. Students can be of any combination. We will leave the pairing entirely up to the fates." She turned her palms upwards toward the ceiling. "And the fates will decide on Friday. You will be bound together on the spot until Sunday afternoon."

"This is unbelievable." You said to Draco, stalking down the halls. "This is the most ridiculous assignment I've ever heard of. That hack hasn't put a single ounce of critical thought into this project. I mean what about the rest of our responsibilities?"

Draco chuckled.

"What's funny?" you said, annoyed.

"It's just that I'm usually the one calling our professors hacks."

"Is it too late to drop the class? Maybe I'll just skip."

"you can't skip the final" Draco reminded you.

You groaned. "but with my bad luck you know I'm going to get paired with Pansy."

"You're just as likely to be paired with me." He reasoned.

"How is that any better?"

"I thought you liked me!" Draco put on an offended tone.

"You're difficult."